Chris Yates frisbee and Shove-ha'penny

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Chris Yates frisbee and Shove-ha'penny

Post by Mr B »

[*]Thought this post might grab your attention.
Just mention the name Chris Yates and the whole worlds your oyster!
Having enjoyed some of his books ( sea fishing my favourite) TV, YouTube and radio broadcast, I can see Mr Yates is a good all round fun loving kind of bloke.
One of his programs programs featured Chris playing with a frisbee during a fishing break.
It made me think of a few games I have played, then of my Shove Ha'penny board. ( I have a few) A great traditional game.
Any of you fellow Anglers remember the shop this came from? By looking at the address its sold fishing tackle too.
Sadly another old shop that has gone.
Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mr B on Fri May 13, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Chris Yates frisbee and Shove-Halfpenny

Post by Deaf Cat »

I have a shove ha’penny board.

Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I love shove ha’penny and have a board …….. only one problem, no matter how much I practice, I’m complete rubbish at it! Now, as for bar skittles, we’ll, that’s a different story!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Duckett wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:50 pm I love shove ha’penny and have a board …….. only one problem, no matter how much I practice, I’m complete rubbish at it! Now, as for bar skittles, we’ll, that’s a different story!

Phil
Me to, we used to play allot at one time and I wasn't to bad at it, my old uncle Bill however (Ex red beret) was the Lord Palmerston champion! They had a lovely old board, if you touched the board while retrieving the coins you had to get buy your opponent a point by way of a fine.
Skittles..... good old pub game, sounds like your a man to be reckoned with!
Going back to the shop.... what a shame... the photo above says it all! Looking at there transfer on the board it must had been a interesting shop, a favourite for the boys in the area... Fishing tackle and guns!
I would like to find a photo of it.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yep - I have a shove-halfpenny board!

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

As a kid used to walk along that road to go fishing the Thames off the steps by County hall, next to the London Eye.
Remember there used to be shops along there, just can't remember any sports shop.
Dad's family came from Lambeth Walk & mums family also from near by.
Remember playing shove halfpenny at grandparents. Wonder if it came from there

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Shove ha'penny,darts,bar billiards,cribbage..All great pub games,I don't know of any pubs round this way that still have them.nearly all gin palaces now.Shame.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I always stop off at Stockbridge when I travel down to Weymouth for a few days fishing with an old mate.
There is a nice slate Shove ha'penny board on the bar in "The Three Cups" pub... just a few yards from Orvis fishing tackle shop and across the road Robjents fishing tackle shop... I like Stockbridge.
You never know, your grandad could well have got his board in the same shop?

Did you ever catch any fish there?
As a kid used to walk along that road to go fishing the Thames off the steps by County hall, next to the London Eye.

Mr B

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Mr B wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 am

Mr B
Used to get Roach there. Used to trot with maggots. My dad said that they would fish further along at Blackfriars for Eels

There was a video of MP Martin Salter now of the Angling Trust & John Bailey fishing the foreshore. I can't find the vid ,but have found news paper article on it
https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/tee ... 02371.html

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thameside wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:49 pm
Mr B wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 am

Mr B
Used to get Roach there. Used to trot with maggots. My dad said that they would fish further along at Blackfriars for Eels

There was a video of MP Martin Salter now of the Angling Trust & John Bailey fishing the foreshore. I can't find the vid ,but have found news paper article on it
https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/tee ... 02371.html
That's fantastic!
I must give it a go! My mate has had some nice Bass at Greenwich! Hard to get your head round it I know... I still cant!
But....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”