Pike Wire Traces

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Michael
Tench

Re: Pike Wire Traces

Post by Michael »

Single or circle, on the odd occasion double and Drennan 7 strand.........

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

When pike fishing I never strike as such, I just tighten and take up a fighting position. Hitting a pike has resulted in many a broken rod - including mine once!

I have used circle hooks for ages and find the Owner Mutu in 8, 6, and 4 to be perfect for all predators. I haven't used the light weight ones so cannot comment on them but they are much easier to get hold of.

I would never recommend waiting a long time before hitting a bite, in fact, with circle hooks a quick tightening is very successful.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

2 barbless singles @ 4" apart, both with knotless knots, & if I'm casting any distance I leave a long enough "hair" on the bottom hook to pull through the bait & anchor it with a bit of twig to hold the bait securely.

I gave all my trebles back to the tackle shop a couple of years ago & don't miss removing them from either pike or net mesh!

I recall that Mr Crabtree uses a treble for carp in one story.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

CraigM wrote:I recall that Mr Crabtree uses a treble for carp in one story.
You needed one in those days, to keep the par-boiled potato on the hook. Apparently. :shocked:

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Yep, I remember trebles being used for carp in the early 50's - also gaffs for those whose net was not large enough.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Red Creel

Post by Red Creel »

Interesting i had not realised that circle hooks were so widely used as i had never come across anybody else on the bank who used them.As re trace wire i have been using Cannelle Supratress for a number of years for bait fishing for lure fishing i prefer the Eddie Turner(E.T. products) wire.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have read this thread with great interest.
I can understand why the photos have to be removed because of space etc.
Are the photos available to see? ( I was interested in Isis set up)
The single hook has got to be “ the way” now, those trebles, snap tackles are pretty barbaric and I have used plenty of them over the years.
I have some wire and can tie the knotless knot, but it’s always good to see a photo..

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Mr B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 pm I have read this thread with great interest.
The single hook has got to be “ the way” now, those trebles, snap tackles are pretty barbaric and I have used plenty of them over the years.
I have some wire and can tie the knotless knot, but it’s always good to see a photo..

Mr B
The photos weren’t removed. Sadly, many disappeared when various photograph hosting sites closed down.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Mr B wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 pm I have read this thread with great interest.

Mr B
I posted a few months a scholarly article that had examined the effects of different hooks and treble hooks were found to inflict less damage than singles when used correctly. One of the problems with snap tackle is that often it was used with the technique of letting pike run with a bait and only striking when it moved off on the second run. If that tactic was used with single hooks then it would still result in deep hooked fish, but it would be easier to unhook the fish in many cases. But if used correctly the author claimed that treble hooks were actually safer than single J hooks.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

That’s interesting,
I have never used a single hook for Pike but thought a single would do far less damage than a couple of trebles..
I will be going pike fishing shortly so will try the single hook and see for myself how it compares... all interesting stuff.
Thanks..
Ps... the photos... that’s a shame...that’s Technology for you!
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”