Edition of a Book

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Edition of a Book

Post by Mark »

Does anyone know of a website where you can enter the name of a book and its author and it lists all the editions that have been printed of that book. This is a general book question and not just related to angling books.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Edition of a Book

Post by Dave Burr »

BookFinder.com and Abebooks.com are my go-to sites Mark, they have so many books on them you can usually work out the reprint rate.

Hope this helps :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:36 pm BookFinder.com and Abebooks.com are my go-to sites Mark, they have so many books on them you can usually work out the reprint rate.

I tried them Dave but they only list the books that are for sale so other editions that they don't have would be missing.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Crikey that would be an undertaking and a half. I know University libraries keep edition dates and numbers but how one would go about collecting edition data of all published material? - I wouldn’t know where to start. It’s not as if you can go to the current editions publishers for the previously published.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mark wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:26 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:36 pm BookFinder.com and Abebooks.com are my go-to sites Mark, they have so many books on them you can usually work out the reprint rate.

I tried them Dave but they only list the books that are for sale so other editions that they don't have would be missing.
I googled your question and it would seem that the only way to be sure how many editions there were is to contact the publisher....

or not to be so nosy :Chuckle:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have older - not very old - books with the data in the edition itself.

'Observers' books for example - Editions with dates.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:57 pm
Mark wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:26 pm

I googled your question and it would seem that the only way to be sure how many editions there were is to contact the publisher....

or not to be so nosy :Chuckle:
Dave I have tried this and came up with not a lot. Of course things may have changed. The only info I was ever offered was the editions from the publishing house at the time of release and any previous editions published by them. Of course in a fair few cases this would be satisfactory. But as we do not know the book in question that will be for Mark to decide whether or not it has any merit in pursuing.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Pallenpool wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:23 pm But as we do not know the book in question that will be for Mark to decide whether or not it has any merit in pursuing.
Its not angling books I am really relating to as angling books only get reprinted two or three times at the most unless it Izaak Walton etc and most never get reprinted at all so angling books are easy to identify.

Lets say a book was first printed in the 1970's and reprinted 7 or 8 times all the way through to the 2000's and each reprint has a different front cover. How do I know I am purchasing the last edition. I suppose its a matter of research, I just thought there might have been a website that had already done this for me. :Hahaha:
Mark (Administrator)

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Mark wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:02 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:23 pm But as we do not know the book in question that will be for Mark to decide whether or not it has any merit in pursuing.
Its not angling books I am really relating to as angling books only get reprinted two or three times at the most unless it Izaak Walton etc and most never get reprinted at all so angling books are easy to identify.

Lets say a book was first printed in the 1970's and reprinted 7 or 8 times all the way through to the 2000's and each reprint has a different front cover. How do I know I am purchasing the last edition. I suppose its a matter of research, I just thought there might have been a website that had already done this for me. :Hahaha:
You may know this already Mark but are you referring to “reprints” (no substantial changes, typos, punctuation etc.) or “editions” (substantial changes or revisions made). If you end up in dialogue with the book trade, it might help if you are specific.

I don’t know the answer to your question but have you considered asking the British Library? I have a friend who is an academic proof reader and she’s always telling me how amazed she is at how knowledgeable and helpful they can be.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Duckett wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:40 pm
Mark wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:02 pm

You may know this already Mark but are you referring to “reprints” (no substantial changes, typos, punctuation etc.) or “editions” (substantial changes or revisions made). If you end up in dialogue with the book trade, it might help if you are specific.

I don’t know the answer to your question but have you considered asking the British Library? I have a friend who is an academic proof reader and she’s always telling me how amazed she is at how knowledgeable and helpful they can be.

Phil
Its not fishing related and I don't want to go as far as the British Library etc, I will do some quick research on the internet, I just thought there was a simple solution for all general reprints, not to worry but thank you for the advice everyone. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”