French maggots

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Russell Brown
Rudd

French maggots

Post by Russell Brown »

Went into a tackle shop in France for some maggots.They call them Asticot's.You get a tiny little pot that barely contains 30 of the little blighters.Not cheap either...........Creme Brulee,no complaints 😎

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: French maggots

Post by Olly »

Now, well before Covid, my 'local to the Gite' tackle shop sold them - mixed colours - by the litre!
3 x 3.3pint/1.88L boxes for about £10 - 15E. And they lasted very well in the fridge - a week at least.

Excellent French bream bait!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

My local "Pacific Peche" tackle shop sells them by the measure. Good quality but expensive. A selection of colours available. They also sell lobworms, dendrobaenas and red worms but again, they're expensive.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I found the harbour rag - for mullet spinning - the most expensive and the most difficult to keep! Tiny box with 25% dead already!!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Oddly, we used to buy them from the supermarket in the 1990's when I spent a fair bit of time over there.
In the refrigerated food department, next cabinet to the frozen peas!

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Banksy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:46 pm Oddly, we used to buy them from the supermarket in the 1990's when I spent a fair bit of time over there.
In the refrigerated food department, next cabinet to the frozen peas!
Hmmm,the French really do have strange gastronomical tastes! Snails,gentles and garlic.Yummy.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They can still be found in French fridges - but not usually amongst the foodstuffs - just perhaps in the same aisle!

As to food well - you may find a halved head amongst the 'pork meat' section. Or if hungry - a whole one!!

My wife, who studied French at Uni, mistakenly ordered 'lamb brains' as her main course at a high class restaurant!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”