Carp book conveyor belt

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Carp book conveyor belt

Post by Aitch »

I bought a Mordex Merlin off Derek a few years ago... very nice chap, watched him over South Weald park lake in the 70's too great angler... another chap who fished South Weald was Albert Romp... he has written a book or two IIRC
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:35 am I think it was Jim Gibbinson article about camouflage and staying out of the carps view that saw us crouched behind two poles holding army disguise netting and stopping the fish seeing us at Hainault Park lake.

We took little notice of the que forming at the ice cream van close behind us, the dog walkers paddling in the margins and on one day a " make your own" roller Derby race down the hill.

If Jim said it was a good idea- it was a good idea!
Aaah that was you was it...??? 😛🤣

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Aitch wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38 am
Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:35 am I think it was Jim Gibbinson article about camouflage and staying out of the carps view that saw us crouched behind two poles holding army disguise netting and stopping the fish seeing us at Hainault Park lake.

We took little notice of the que forming at the ice cream van close behind us, the dog walkers paddling in the margins and on one day a " make your own" roller Derby race down the hill.

Clearly not Aitch- hidden behind our net you wouldn't have been able to see us!

Bus users were a friendly bunch then, three of us getting on tank suited to the bus from the underground station complete with trolley and a weekends tackle and gear rarely got any reaction

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:47 am
Aitch wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38 am

Clearly not Aitch- hidden behind our net you wouldn't have been able to see us!

Bus users were a friendly bunch then, three of us getting on tank suited to the bus from the underground station complete with trolley and a weekends tackle and gear rarely got any reaction
Aah... but we were behind you...😎😛 and yes... I too did the tackle lugging via bus and tube in me dad's green "United Glass" boiler suit... then me mate got a car... A Hillman Imp, oh we had some fun getting the gear into that I tellscthee

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

When I was a kid I had Albie Hall at one end of the road and Derek at the other. Derek helped source my first carp rods and some very early and original converters Optonics from Les Bamford. We’ve met and chatted a couple of times recently which has been very interesting. Must be fascinating from his perspective, seeing me as a schoolboy and now in mid-fifties!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:48 pm When I was a kid I had Albie Hall at one end of the road and Derek at the other. Derek helped source my first carp rods and some very early and original converters Optonics from Les Bamford. We’ve met and chatted a couple of times recently which has been very interesting. Must be fascinating from his perspective, seeing me as a schoolboy and now in mid-fifties!
And alongside being one of my fishing heroes, his achievements in education in challenging areas of London should be recorded. Although perhaps his commitment at work was also transferred to fishing.

In his book there is a photo showing what may well have been the first free standing rod pod. We have laughed about the effect of him applying for a patent back in the 70s!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Well after reading through post and looking through my own books I could see that I only have a few books on Carp (I'm not an avid Carp Angler, but enjoy the odd session)
Anyway, I have just ordered George Sharman's 'Carp and the Carp Angler' (£3.60p including p@p not from thebay, had enough of that)
I'm looking forward to a close season read, it seems to be a good old favourite.

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I have taken far too long to realise that I am spending far too long staring at a screen.

I have been walking past a bookshelf full of classics about fishing,sailing and cycling

More books less internet!

Half way through " A Carp strikes back" and aware of a nice smell on the cover. Many hours of reading on the bank and with hands impregnated with Scopex just used for mixing more bait. The Internet hasnt got scent yet!

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Remember Colin and I doing one of our regular close season ‘reccies’. Ended up at Savay. Chap came through the trees, “Hello lads, I’m starting up a syndicate next season, would you like to join?”. We thought about it for a minute or two but decided it was too far to travel! We might have featured in that book if we did!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Tony.J.Newman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:31 am Remember Colin and I doing one of our regular close season ‘reccies’. Ended up at Savay. Chap came through the trees, “Hello lads, I’m starting up a syndicate next season, would you like to join?”. We thought about it for a minute or two but decided it was too far to travel! We might have featured in that book if we did!
And I missed the chance of saying I started fishing with two " Carp Superstars"

Although I remember that we were almost Superstars at Hainault in the 70s for catching three carp in a season😁

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”