Catfish in the Trent.

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Catfish in the Trent.

Post by Hovis »

Liphook wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:25 pm Surely the EA, CRT, NE etc should be removing these non natives? The CRT are/were trying to remove zander in certain areas. Stocking a truly enclosed stillwater is one thing but having them our rivers are quite another. The movement of species without proper forethought almost always has serious ramifications in the long run.
But how? It is technically infeasible to try and remove cats from a large river system. You'd never get them all. Not only that but you have to consider all life stages. Its simply impossible. Add to this the fact that some water within the floodplain will still likely contain them and its only before they were once again "introduced".

The CRT zander cull is driven my a few factors. To date I've only seen a single paper looking at the impact of zander in canal like systems. Interestingly they eat a lot of bullhead!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

We have grey squirrels, sika and muntjac deer, grass carp, catfish, and other alien species - - - how to get rid is the question?

EA have clamped down on the introduction of non-native fish species - but Natural England want to go further regarding carp especially.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

But we try at least do we not? Well some of us do. Apathy is not a working policy it is submission without a fight

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

In the river system (Regnitz/ Main, Bavaria) I fish catfish are a non-native species as well. They have been purposely introduced a couple of decades ago. They reproduce very successfully and grow to enormous size.
Authorities now think we should get rid of catfish, so anglers are not allowed by law to release any specimen caught regardless of its size. On the other hand, anglers are only allowed to kill a fish for the kitchen. So what do we do? Most anglers around here try to avoid catching catfish. Some target the very large ones and deliberately break the law by practicing catch and release and thereby risk to loose their licence.
What do I do? Catfish take pretty much every bait, so you can't really avoid them. I catch a couple of small ones every year, even when I'm after roach. I wouldn't want to risk loosing my licence, so I take catfish for the kitchen. They're actually very delicious, especially smoked. When I target pike, I always hope, not to hook a large catfish. Should that ever happen, I'd try to deliberately loose the battle ...
Do we manage to reduce the number of catfish in our rivers? No, I don't think so at all ...
As killing coarse fish for the kitchen isn't an option for most British fishermen, I don't think there's a chance, to get rid of catfish in the UK by the help of anglers.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Hovis wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:26 pm
Liphook wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:25 pm Surely the EA, CRT, NE etc should be removing these non natives? The CRT are/were trying to remove zander in certain areas. Stocking a truly enclosed stillwater is one thing but having them our rivers are quite another. The movement of species without proper forethought almost always has serious ramifications in the long run.
But how? It is technically infeasible to try and remove cats from a large river system. You'd never get them all. Not only that but you have to consider all life stages. Its simply impossible. Add to this the fact that some water within the floodplain will still likely contain them and its only before they were once again "introduced".

The CRT zander cull is driven my a few factors. To date I've only seen a single paper looking at the impact of zander in canal like systems. Interestingly they eat a lot of bullhead!
Catfish and any other non-indigenous species such as sturgeon can only be lawfully stocked under special license into a landlocked water. Therefore accidental introduction should be avoided. However, like the Docklow fish, we do get the occasional flood that surpasses previous records and, the weather ain't getting any better. Once in the river system, they are there for as long as they survive.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Say I caught one, or for that matter a signal crayfish.

I assume that I am not supposed to return them to the water.
Is that correct?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Signal crayfish - - if it is a Signal according to the EA who seems not to trust our recognition abilities - - kill it!
If you have them in your water you know why - - if not and they arrive you soon will! Next are Mitten Crabs!

Catfish moot point - probably kill - - several clubs have that proviso - - but could you kill a 10lber or a 40lber? I couldn't I am afraid.

10,000 signals netted and removed from the Kennet! Fed to humans - and otters which are in zoos!

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

In my opinion Catfish should not be returned whatever their size.
They should not be here and it was a serious mistake to ever grant permission for them to be stocked in any UK water.

American Signal Crayfish are so numerous in a popular bathing spot on the River Wharfe, that they can be caught by hand.

I have caught Chinese Mitten Crabs on the River Went ( a Don tributary) and reported the facts to the EA.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:01 am
Hovis wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:26 pm

Catfish and any other non-indigenous species such as sturgeon can only be lawfully stocked under special license into a landlocked water. Therefore accidental introduction should be avoided. However, like the Docklow fish, we do get the occasional flood that surpasses previous records and, the weather ain't getting any better. Once in the river system, they are there for as long as they survive.
Indeed - should. That doesn't account for those illegally stocked introduced.

To my mind we lost the battle with signal crayfish, wels and zander to name a few. Can can slow the spread and should. Eradication is now impossible. If we think knocking the odd wels on the head that anglers are catching is going to do the job we are sadly deluded
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

"Sadly deluded", you say.......... :fish:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “River Trent”