An Old post Card Canbury Gardens

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Mr B
Arctic Char

An Old post Card Canbury Gardens

Post by Mr B »

I have just started collecting fishing post cards and found this lovely card from a scene the river Thames at Canbury Gardens.
Two years ago fished downstream about two miles and finished having a pint in The Boaters, just short of the Gardens by looking at google maps.
Do any of you Thames Aficionados know if you can still fish in the spot on my post card? Be interesting trying to pon point the spot.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: An Old post Card Canbury Gatdens.

Post by Olly »

If you look at "Instant Street View" you can find a similar view.
The two boathouses are still there - or it looks very much like them!

Found on the net - note the date:-
"""There are two islands; Steven's Eyot which is in front of a park called Canbury Gardens where fishing is permitted, and Trowlock Island which starts at the point where Lower Ham Road peels away from the Thames.27 Jan 2022"""

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: An Old post Card Canbury Gatdens.

Post by Mr B »

Olly wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:33 pm If you look at "Instant Street View" you can find a similar view.
The two boathouses are still there - or it looks very much like them!

Found on the net - note the date:-
"""There are two islands; Steven's Eyot which is in front of a park called Canbury Gardens where fishing is permitted, and Trowlock Island which starts at the point where Lower Ham Road peels away from the Thames.27 Jan 2022"""

I looked that up and see a boat house... might have had a few changes, who knows.
Its not the most Picturesque of settings but still very interesting and quite posh!
I will make some more enquiries about the fishing there.
I know there is free fishing on the Thames from Steins Bridge to Teddington, 16 miles but I am not sure about this section, even though he looks promising aftervreading your link.
There will be lots of boat traffic in the summer but there is a pub nearby and it would be lighthearted fishing experience, a fish would be a bonus Olly!
I will use my "The Thames" fishing rod. ( split cane)
Thats my trouble... hopeless romantic.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: An Old post Card Canbury Gardens

Post by Olly »

The towpath from Staines Stone downstream is free - just an EA licence.

Regularly fished at Canbury Gdns. A short bike ride from Teddington Lock and the suspension bridge over the Thames, about 1 mile from where I lived near Radnor Gardens.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Back in the eighties we had a fabulous junior team at Motor Gear Angling Club. Motor Gear was an engineering firm at Chadwell Heath. We used to go out every third week and, under the tutorage of Colin Sinclair - a crack Thames dace catcher - we would regularly beat the grown ups.

In 1983 we entered the Surrey Junior Championships at Canbury Gardens and whipped about twenty local teams to win the match. As captain I got to lift the trophy and it remains one of my proudest moments. Colin is now well into his eighties and it still brings a tear to his eye when we talk about it.

We still get together regularly and fish. In May we are going to have a day at Rocklands Mere. Here we are as champions!

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:12 pm Back in the eighties we had a fabulous junior team at Motor Gear Angling Club. Motor Gear was an engineering firm at Chadwell Heath. We used to go out every third week and, under the tutorage of Colin Sinclair - a crack Thames dace catcher - we would regularly beat the grown ups.

In 1983 we entered the Surrey Junior Championships at Canbury Gardens and whipped about twenty local teams to win the match. As captain I got to lift the trophy and it remains one of my proudest moments. Colin is now well into his eighties and it still brings a tear to his eye when we talk about it.

We still get together regularly and fish. In May we are going to have a day at Rocklands Mere. Here we are as champions!

I can pick you out Phil!
You must have been very proud that day... and at Canbury Gardens! What a coincidence! Great photo, one to keep forever.
Great the Colin is still in contact, lovely times Phil and thanks for Sharing it. It is quite alarming how time flys though... got to make the best if it.

Well it seems you can still fish there, reading above ( Thanks Olly) perhaps a TFF day next season at Canbury Gardens.. sounds good to me.. Olly just lives up the road and I think others would enjoy it too.
"Watch this space"

My first trip to Walton on Thames with my old uncle was a good one.. we caught lots of good Dace and loads of pesky Gudgeon! They seem to be in Vogue now.

Mr B

Ps I have saved your photo. Love it.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Lived just up the road until 1970's - - - been lots of places since then!

It was/is the parking that could be a nightmare!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

For the last few years, and inspired by the Thames tidal fest catches, the remnants of Motor Gear AC junior section (now average age about 55) have been talking about getting the District Line from Elm Park to Richmond and marching down the high street to the bridge like we did all those years ago! I’d love to do that one day! Or get the train to some other part of the river. I did research where Martin Salter caught his two pound roach as it was also where the tidal fest was won, and that had a train station right next to the river. Just a question of working out a route, access to the water and the tides.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Tengisgol wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:45 am For the last few years, and inspired by the Thames tidal fest catches, the remnants of Motor Gear AC junior section (now average age about 55) have been talking about getting the District Line from Elm Park to Richmond and marching down the high street to the bridge like we did all those years ago! I’d love to do that one day! Or get the train to some other part of the river. I did research where Martin Salter caught his two pound roach as it was also where the tidal fest was won, and that had a train station right next to the river. Just a question of working out a route, access to the water and the tides.
Sounds great to me!
Last time I fished there I took the train and took my old fold up bike with me... you can really get along the paths along the river and its all flat!
I had a great day ( despite the rain in the morning hence the plastic bag covering my bag) and finished with a pintin the pub at Canbury Gardens.
I love a nostalgic day and reading your post you have some great memories too.

Mark (Aka Mr B)

Ps.... a 2lbs Thames Roach... thats very nice.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Tengisgol wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:45 am For the last few years, and inspired by the Thames tidal fest catches, the remnants of Motor Gear AC junior section (now average age about 55) have been talking about getting the District Line from Elm Park to Richmond and marching down the high street to the bridge like we did all those years ago! I’d love to do that one day! Or get the train to some other part of the river. I did research where Martin Salter caught his two pound roach as it was also where the tidal fest was won, and that had a train station right next to the river. Just a question of working out a route, access to the water and the tides.
What memories you have brought back for me Phil! :Hat: As a young lad I would catch trains to Richmond and fish for the Roach and Dace. Later I went on to Windsor and fished several spots with some success The picture of you holding the trophy with your junior team is wonderful! :Ok: I must revisit some of my old venues to see how they have changed! :surrender:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “River Thames”