Abu Cardinal 54 drag washers - different configurations?

The ABU Reels forum.
Fenns
Stickleback

Abu Cardinal 54 drag washers - different configurations?

Post by Fenns »

Good Evening All - I was once a regular lurker and occassional poster here but then 'life' got in the way. Indeed, such was the length of this hiatus that i forgot my login details so start here afresh courtesy of admin :Chuckle: I have to say, it's good to be back.

I fish irregularly with a Abu Cardinal 54 and have another unused, boxed for admiring. The drag on the 'user' has become sticky - both the adjustment knob itself and in action. I have a special trip planned for later in the season so I am preparing my various rods & reels way ahead of time, and servicing where required - the 54's drag is on the list. I am considering a carbotex drag washer upgrade which has helped improve my Mitchell 300 Pro.

When I took a peek at the washer arrangment on my 'user' reel I noticed it is different to the arrangement shown in a photo on Big Jim's (ever helpful) website and, on further investigation, to my own unused 54 (which incidentally is identical to the Big Jim photo).

My question is therefore has someone in the past 're-constructed' the drag system incorrectly on my 'user' 54 or were early versions set up differently? If its the latter where do I place the new carbotex washers (of which there are three I understand) ?

The unused 54 drag washer arrangement which I assume is correct :

... and here's the arrangment in my 'user' - note the extra metal washer and different washer order:

Thanking you in anticipation.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Abu Cardinal 54 drag washers - different configurations?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

BeechmereLake (Martin) sorted mine for me and I would thoroughly recommend his services.
He's a member of the forum so contactable via a pm. Hope you get your problem sorted out. :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Fenns
Stickleback

Post by Fenns »

Thanks Jeremy - agreed, Martin does appear to be the Abu guru👍

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

He is - serviced quite a few of mine!

Fenns
Stickleback

Post by Fenns »

Hopefully he'll be along soon to offer his expertise! The washer arrangement on my 'user' reel seems more akin to that on a 55 (i.e. there are more washers) so perhaps it's been 'upgraded' at some time in its past? My concern is that if I get Carbontex replacement washers I place them in the correct order so everything works correctly.

Also, how does the 'wheel' work within the drag arrangement as it doesnt appear to connect with anything else in the body of the reel - what are the little teeth for?

Finally, I am assuming I'll have to dismantle the reel so as to remove the central spindle otherwise I wont be able to change out the various washers?

Many thanks,

Simon

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Hi, around 1978 the Cardinal 54 was released and it used drag washers as part of its drag system, soon after came this hideous all in one block of plastic which was to allow the pressure plates to grip and was also part of the spool clicker system. Your reel should have 1978-79 serial number and should look like this one in the photo which belonged to Jeremy on the forum here, lots of people want a drag washer system but find after purchasing they dont have one, they then try to convert them but due to lack of space cant get them to work properly, you have to be careful what you use also, I find the original teflon washers perfect for the reel, the way I set them up is why they work so well.
It wont hurt to copy how I have set this reel up but like I said to get them perfect is a small secret of mine :Hat:

Have to say your first photo looks to be a 1980 reel, certainly the drag knob is if all red around the base.

" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Fenns
Stickleback

Post by Fenns »

Thank you so much Martin - it does therefore appear my boxed 54 is unmolested and the serial no. shows it to be a 1982. As you say, the red on the drag knob carries on underneath whereas that on my user (serial no. confirms it to be a 1978 model) stops at the edge. With many sellers on auction sites selling fraudulent 'bitsa' reels I remain wary and I now only buy from reputable sources - these 54s were bought 7-8 years ago when the auction site landscape wasn't too 'corrupt'!

So, as I now undersand it, the bronzy-coloured washer (3.) was used in early models only and replaced by the 'hideous' plastic job later?
As the '78's drag isn't working too well I intend to dismantle and clean and was considering substituting Carbontex washers but you don't think they are necessary if the system is correctly set up, as per your arrangement for Jeremy.

On the '78 are you suggesting I remove one of the 'stepped' metal washers (1. & 2.) to acheive drag perfection? I appreciate trade secrets are hard won so won't be offended if you prefer not to reveal :Wink: but I do like to try and do minor repairs myself.
I also seem to only have two black felt (?) washers - perhaps the third has been squished? I understand the Carbontex kit contains three drag washers.

Apologies for asking so many Qs but I have one more: can I dismantle the drag system without removing the head to extract the central spindle?

Your help & guidence is much appreciated.

Simon

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Fenns wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:00 pm Thank you so much Martin - it does therefore appear my boxed 54 is unmolested and the serial no. shows it to be a 1982. As you say, the red on the drag knob carries on underneath whereas that on my user (serial no. confirms it to be a 1978 model) stops at the edge. With many sellers on auction sites selling fraudulent 'bitsa' reels I remain wary and I now only buy from reputable sources - these 54s were bought 7-8 years ago when the auction site landscape wasn't too 'corrupt'!

So, as I now undersand it, the bronzy-coloured washer (3.) was used in early models only and replaced by the 'hideous' plastic job later?
As the '78's drag isn't working too well I intend to dismantle and clean and was considering substituting Carbontex washers but you don't think they are necessary if the system is correctly set up, as per your arrangement for Jeremy.

On the '78 are you suggesting I remove one of the 'stepped' metal washers (1. & 2.) to acheive drag perfection? I appreciate trade secrets are hard won so won't be offended if you prefer not to reveal :Wink: but I do like to try and do minor repairs myself.
I also seem to only have two black felt (?) washers - perhaps the third has been squished? I understand the Carbontex kit contains three drag washers.

Apologies for asking so many Qs but I have one more: can I dismantle the drag system without removing the head to extract the central spindle?

Simon
Hi Simon, the head can remain in place, all you need to do is remove the axle, to do this you need to remove the black plastic oscillation block from the axle itself and slide the axle out the front of the reel. The drag can then be removed, once you have rebuilt the drag make sure you lock it in position to stop it all falling back out again then slide the axle back in and put the plastic block on the axle.
Have to say I have taken more carbontex washers out of reels than put in them, just a gimmick for me, I treat my washers then rebuild the drag and I have hundreds of anglers using Cardinal reels who love the way I do them.

Regards Martin

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

BeechmereLake wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:45 pm
Fenns wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:00 pm Thank you so much Martin - it does therefore appear my boxed 54 is unmolested and the serial no. shows it to be a 1982. As you say, the red on the drag knob carries on underneath whereas that on my user (serial no. confirms it to be a 1978 model) stops at the edge. With many sellers on auction sites selling fraudulent 'bitsa' reels I remain wary and I now only buy from reputable sources - these 54s were bought 7-8 years ago when the auction site landscape wasn't too 'corrupt'!

Simon
Hi Simon, the head can remain in place, all you need to do is remove the axle, to do this you need to remove the black plastic oscillation block from the axle itself and slide the axle out the front of the reel. The drag can then be removed, once you have rebuilt the drag make sure you lock it in position to stop it all falling back out again then slide the axle back in and put the plastic block on the axle. You will see there are three drag washers in the drag in my picture, you can try two but my guess is it will be too slack.
Have to say I have taken more carbontex washers out of reels than put in them, just a gimmick for me, I treat my washers then rebuild the drag and I have hundreds of anglers using Cardinal reels who love the way I do them, yes a trade secret of mine but not rocket science :Wink:

Regards Martin

"BB"

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Carbontex a gimmick? They are the recognised industry standard replacements and upgrades for everything up to and including the very top end blue water big game reels I service. Maybe "overkill" for UK coarse fishing is a better description?

Return to “ABU Reels”