B.James Avocet and Olympic

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

B.James Avocet and Olympic

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I read recently that the B.James Olympic is basically a B.James whole cane butt Avocet without the intermediate whippings.

Is that correct?

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: B.James Avocet and Olympic

Post by Olly »

I too have been told that - - but never had either in my hands to compare! A rod I would like - - I think.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:52 am I read recently that the B.James Olympic is basically a B.James whole cane butt Avocet without the intermediate whippings.

Is that correct?
As far as i am aware PH the Olympic is the all split cane later version of the Avocet without intermediates.I did not know that there was a whole cane butt version.I thought that all of the whole cane butt rods were Avocets.Has anyone come across a whole cane butt Olympic ?. :holmes:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:surrender: Oops! :Thumbsdown::

Misread the initial question - but was told that the 'all split cane' versions - Avocet/Olympic - were the same - - - except for the inters - - ?

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Thanks for the replies - does anyone know what year the Olympic was introduced to the B.James range? That might help with establishing whether it was at the time of the Avocets still being whole cane butt.

I am lead to believe that the B.James Avon Perfection was also originally a whole cane butt rod - however I never seen one of these.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have an Avon Perfection - all split cane.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I had an all split cane BJ Avon Perfection and have handled (waggled) one with a whole cane butt.The w/c one was stiffer and a stunning rod.It was already spoken for.It was that good that i would have loved to have owned it if i could have.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Just had my two Olympics that had being lying around for at least ten years restored by Ryan Burns . And i must say they look amazing. Ryan previously (years ago) restored an all cane Avocet for me so i asked him the same question about the Avocet and the Olympic being the same rod and he said yes. On the subject off the two rods does anybody know what they cost when they were new.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”