Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Doug Pollard
Stickleback

Post by Doug Pollard »

Hi from Doug Pollard in Victoria, British Columbia

Having just posted something on Ray Mumford, I figure it is time to introduce myself. My coarse fishing era was short, lasting essentially from 1953 till 1958, when I started university at Aberystwth, and got into flyfishing (there being no barbel, tench or carp around Aber.) From there I spent two years at The WiIdfowl Trust, Slimbridge, and still no coarse fishing. Great shooting and fishing in Canada beckoned in 1967, and I have been here ever since.

Coarse fishing? Do sturgeon count? A few years ago there was a report of a couple visiting BC from Ringwood. The husband caught a truly monster sturgeon in the Fraser River. My kids thought it would be fun to try. It was, and on the second trip my younger daughter Jen caught her first fish ever, a sturgeon over 3 meters long. Last weekend was my 82nd birthday, and we had a rare day on the Fraser, with ten huge fish, all caught on what can only be described as heavy ledger. Every fish had a tag, some of them going back twenty years, confirming that catch-and-release had little impact on these huge and beautiful fish.

I have collected coarse fishing tackle for over 30 years, and it is surprising how much made its way over here. I have several old cane fly rods, and an exceptional Hardy cane sea rod. Reels I have by the dozen, and am slowly selling off, not so easy with the price of shipping these days. I write a bit now and again, and was rather chuffed some years ago by having an article on Nottingham reels made in Canada published in Waterlog, and sandwiched between Fred Taylor and Bernard Venables. I have published a book entitled "Peetz, a reel for all time."

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Re: New Member

Post by Wanderer »

Hello and welcome to the forum Doug. :welcome:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Welcome, look forward to your further contributions, especially fishing and the scenery in BC - always a place I have wanted to visit.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome to the forum :Hat:

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Doug.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Welcome Doug and enjoy TFF.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

:Hat: Welcome aboard Doug.

. Sounds like you're living the dream.

Wal.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Welcome aboard Doug :Hat: Have you read much R Haig Brown?

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

"Sandwiched between Fred Taylor and Bernard Venables."
Wow! I feel I am communicating with the exalted.
Welcome Doug.
40 ish years ago I had the pleasure of fishing with a Chilliwack friend for Sturgeon on the Mighty Fraser, at its confluence with the Harrison River. Nothing to compare with Jen's fish - just a small one of about 25lb on my heavy legered bunch of big lobworms.
What would Jen's fish have weighed? My friend told tales of 200lb plus fish, but a 3 metre fish would be even heavier I guess?

Enjoy the forum Doug.
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”