Traditional rods for pike

This forum is for discussing pike.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Traditional rods for pike

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Olly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:22 pm It is the casting not the playing that can damage the cane rod. I am used to chucking 1/2 a mackerel on big gravel pits/lakes. I normally used 12ft 3lb t/c glass rods so cane does have severe limitations.

I certainly would not be wanting to play a 20+ on a 500 - a 550 perhaps with a 1.5 t/c - but much prefer an even higher t/c.

The problem in some ways - you never know how big your pike can be! 5lb - 30lb they still take the same bait!
Oh, a 30lber, if only....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

Mr B. - always good to get your hook back!
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A rare beast in normal circumstances! Some lurk in the huge, and not so huge, trout fisheries around.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Olly wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:06 am A rare beast in normal circumstances! Some lurk in the huge, and not so huge, trout fisheries around.
Does Chew still hold monsters? When I used to fly fish a lot it was famous for its large Pike much to the annoyance of a lot of the fly fishers.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Yes Chew still has monsters. I've had a 27lber from there on fly. I've yet to catch that elusive 30! And it's certainly not been due to lack of trying. I honestly think thst pike of that size are exceptionally rare in comparison to mid to high twenties, and they are not exactly common.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Only missing the 27, 29 & the 30! With none from any trout water reservoir.
Last edited by Olly on Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

As the topic has shifted to the size of pike a rod might have to deal with, here is another aspect of the matter that has long puzzled me. For about 50 years, I have fished for pike (though not exclusively) in almost every winter, here in the fens. In all that time, I have encountered just one 20-pound fish, and that was from a gravel pit. I'm always intrigued as to how others seem to catch these monsters in some numbers.

Admittedly, I'm happy with any pike on the day, and perhaps that's my problem. But it does seem odd!
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I've never fished the fens Riparian but grew up on Loch Lomond and later Windermere and have gone to great lengths (including moving, buying boats and 4x4s etc ) to find areas and waters that hold big pike. They thrive on neglect so I'd advise fishing off the beaten track. My attention of late has been drawn to pike fishing rivers local to me as the one time obsession with setting pbs has long left.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Riparian wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:46 pm As the topic has shifted to the size of pike a rod might have to deal with, here is another aspect of the matter that has long puzzled me. For about 50 years, I have fished for pike (though not exclusively) in almost every winter, here in the fens. In all that time, I have encountered just one 20-pound fish, and that was from a gravel pit. I'm always intrigued as to how others seem to catch these monsters in some numbers.

Admittedly, I'm happy with any pike on the day, and perhaps that's my problem. But it does seem odd!
I've read that one needs to use bigger than average baits to catch the bigger 20lb plus pike, otherwise rely on luck. Some of the plastic shads these days are 12"+ long and weigh over 80g. That would equate to bigger live bait than I would be happy using. One could always try a whole 1lb + trout/mackerel etc and see if you catch bigger pike. Certainly, bigger pike flies tend to catch the bigger pike.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Hmnnn.... 3 of my pike over 25lb have come to 3in deadbaits. Pike like many fish can become preoccupied on prey type and size in my opinion.

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”