Collecting worms

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
ExeAngler
Chub

Collecting worms

Post by ExeAngler »

Morning,

Anyone know a good way of collecting worms without stamping around at night on grass? I was thinking of putting a black dustbin bag on some grass and leaving it over night. May be some worms under it in the morning?

Thanks

Troydog
Tench

Re: Collecting worms

Post by Troydog »

Red worms and brandlings thrive in a compost heap. Lobworms lie on top of grass after a wet, mild day. No need to stamp anywhere; you just walk quietly along picking up the worms as you go. You can collect 60 in half an hour if you choose the right evening.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Do a search for wormery on this site - lots of information.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

You can charm them out of the ground in various ways,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_charming

I've done it by sticking a fork in the ground and moving it back and forth but many methods are adopted during the National Worming Championship.
Last edited by Dave Burr on Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Use an old car battery (needs to be charged) and starter cables connected to long metal pegs stuck in the ground to at least a foot, with the pegs at least about three feet apart. Plug in and simply wait for the worms to wriggle to the surface.

Never tried it myself but there's a big following of this method in the States.

PS. They refer to worms as night crawlers!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've just corrected the link above,

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Our worms in our garden are sacred.
My lovely wife is always rescuing our worms.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for me she is a gardener, I cant stand gardening, really have done my share over the years professionally and out duty)
So... I dig for them, pick them up first if I can under things if the weather has been worm friendly if your a fisherman and un friendly if your a worm! But not in my garden.

I wont use the soapy water technique out if respect for the worms. But I have and it dose work but it must be tuff on the worms..
All worms that are not used are always put back on or in the ground.., never thrown in the river.
Anglers morals a, we all have our own!

Mr B
Ps... I will break them up and throw them in when fishing though!!!
"Nothing stranger than folk"
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Troydog wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:53 am Red worms and brandlings thrive in a compost heap. Lobworms lie on top of grass after a wet, mild day. No need to stamp anywhere; you just walk quietly along picking up the worms as you go. You can collect 60 in half an hour if you choose the right evening.
And if you choose the wrong evening, you can find yourself staring down the twin barrels of a 12-bore shotgun.
It happened to me one dark night when a neighbour was returning home at 1am after a lock-in at the village pub, saw a suspicious shape (me) lurking on our back lawn, and decided to apprehend me.
:Beg:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

On warm mild dark evenings they come to surface and if you can get to a village cricket pitch you can collect hundreds in a short space of time.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Troydog wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:53 am Red worms and brandlings thrive in a compost heap. Lobworms lie on top of grass after a wet, mild day. No need to stamp anywhere; you just walk quietly along picking up the worms as you go. You can collect 60 in half an hour if you choose the right evening.
Those Herefordshire worms must be rather more laid back than the ones on my lawn back in Wales. Those blighters always had their tails just in the burrow and retracted like lightning at any hint of danger! Must be the Cider!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”