Future traditional hooks - stocking up...

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
NorfolkTinca
Dace

Future traditional hooks - stocking up...

Post by NorfolkTinca »

I believe people on here will understand if I say that I like hooks to come in attractive packaging. A little diligent searching and such things are still available, but it seems almost everything in tackle shops - hooks included - is getting branded either to appeal to the pole/carp fraternity, those who think black and orange is a pleasant combination of colours, those who trust a machine to tie their knots (or never learned how to do it themselves) or with such names as "Rage", which I would only expect to feel if aforementioned hook were to let me down.

So I'm actually contemplating buying enough good hooks to last me a lifetime. Thirty years, God willing, 100 hooks a season, about £600. Anyone else been eccentric enough to do the same? Should have done it with floats years ago.
My biggest fish is not necessarily my best

Aitch
Pike

Re: Future traditional hooks - stocking up...

Post by Aitch »

Only used 3 this season....🤔🤣
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Bought 10 patterns from a firm, in Redditch, in about 1969 - 1000 of each, from memory - barbless size 20, 18, 16 and 14, roach round bend gilt barbed size 18, 16 and 1 would think a 14, and some roach crystal bend, barbed, perhaps 18 and 16. Used to tie a few for the works fishing club. I would think that over about 15 years I used about 500 each of the barbless hooks, about 40 each of the others. Put then away and lost them, found them about 10 years ago, and looking at all the barbed hooks, never saw anything so nastier in my life - barbs looked about 1/16" long and protruding at about 45 degrees - threw the lot.

I think that technology will still improve to some extent, but perhaps by not much, so do not buy many - 10 years is enough and it would appear that the Chinese who I would think make all the branded ones we buy, look to sell about 100 for £3.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I would hate to try and count how many hooks I have. The oldest go back to the 70s eg Mustad 39082, 39853. I probably use up to 300 a season. And, yes, I'm still buying hooks, almost always barbless now.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I’ve switched almost completely to barbless now and, funnily enough, spent £60 last weekend stocking up on my favourite 10, 12 and 14 roach hooks and size 5 and 7 chub and barbel. They’ll last me a fair while (a few years) because I was fortunate I think to find some old shop stock at about one third the usual price.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:25 pm ...size 5 and 7 chub and barbel.
Odd numbers, that's hardcore piscatorial geekiness Mr Tengisgol! Got me thinking that a 13 or an 11 would definitely fill a niche.

NorfolkTinca
Dace

Post by NorfolkTinca »

Aitch wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:25 pm Only used 3 this season....🤔🤣
I've used twelve, if you count two traces with two trebles on each! Just packed the gear for the first river trip since January, and looking forward to it.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

NorfolkTinca wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:56 pm
Tengisgol wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:25 pm ...size 5 and 7 chub and barbel.
Odd numbers, that's hardcore piscatorial geekiness Mr Tengisgol! Got me thinking that a 13 or an 11 would definitely fill a niche.
Honest truth I haven’t a clue or bother why, they just are. Quite why they couldn’t sell 4, 6 and 8 I’ve no idea (perhaps they do?).
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I have found that many of the hooks I favoured years ago were, by today's standard, pretty rubbish. Soft wire, blunt points and easily rusted. Had I stockpiled then I would now have drawers full of Model Perfect hooks that I swore by until I experimented. There are better hooks now than ever before, light by comparison, stronger, sharper and in every conceivable pattern. Were I to pick a hook that will stand the test of time and become a future traditional hook, I would probably go for a curved shank as I genuinely believe they were a leap forward in design, moving from a nymph fly hook to an excellent all rounder.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

One of those Orange packaged hooks, the Guru QM1 is a cracking hook,as is their Kaizen... sadly the QM1 only goes up to a 10 or 12 but it really is sharp and stays in... the downside is I've only seen them pre tied, not loose
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”