Learning to Fish (1966)

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
SussexMan
Bleak

Learning to Fish (1966)

Post by SussexMan »

Does anybody on TFF remember the above item on (?ITV) in 1966? The format was 12 children (non-anglers) being treated to being paired with one of 12 leading anglers of the day. The 12 anglers included Walker, Taylor, Stone, Willock, Wheat, Steuart, Hargreaves, Wentworth... I distinctly remember watching myself, despite the 55 year gap. It was filmed by Out of Town cameraman Stan Brehaut on the Dorset Stour. As a teenager of 14 years it was quite a sight to see the lucky kids get to be tutored by one of the angling greats... (apologies if this topic has previously been aired)

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: Learning to Fish (1966)

Post by Wanderer »

That sounds fascinating SussexMan, but it's a new one on me.
Good Luck with the search.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Somewhere in one of my many books there is a photo of the participants. I suspect it's an old Jack Hargreaves Out of Town episode from Southern TV. Hargreaves resurrected the concept in his 1980s Old Country series with a fishing match at what was called Morey's Lakes (now Somerley) on the Stock Pond near Ringwood in 1983, with identifiable faces of Dave Swallow, John Levell and Andy Browne, plus Hargreaves.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

In a massive rush to be the first to add a positive to this string, here's a Starter for One! Can't claim the Ten, yet.
This little clip evokes so much of the period - notably FJT with fag on.......!
Mike - for some strange reason feeling unusually competitive. Very out of character!

Edit addition: I believe Sussex Man is right: not "Out of Town" but a standalone outside his (several) well-known series. The search for more info continues.

https://www.facebook.com/tvark.org/vide ... 992995818/

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

Well found, BarbelB! Like too many similar TV items (such as the Hargreaves "Country Boy" tv mini-series) one fears there was a wiping of the old TV tape-reels.

BeardyRich
Minnow

Post by BeardyRich »

There’s some info in Dave Steuart’s lovely book “From Minnows To Marlin” on pages 157 and 158.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Dave Steuart mentioned this event to me just recently - again :Chuckle: Apparently, the girl seen receiving the second prize reel, actually beat all of the boy's weights with a pike. However, as she was a girl, younger than most there therefore assumed less likely to fish much, they declared pike as null and void and gave the expensive rod to the lad who came "second". The girl was distraught and later, received a rod of her own.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

She was the daughter of one of the production crew - possibly Stan Brehaut, so Dave Knowles told me yesterday.
Mike

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Don't make me do it!

I have a book with an image of the hosts/competitors - but cannot recall which book it is in!

....... shall I look?

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

How many books have you got ?

:fish:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “Fishing Films”