Trace wire

This forum is for discussing pike.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Trace wire

Post by Hovis »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:20 pm 15lb is too light in my opinion. I wouldn't consider anything under the 27lb I use.

Thanks
BB
Why?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Hovis wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:24 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:20 pm 15lb is too light in my opinion. I wouldn't consider anything under the 27lb I use.

Thanks
BB
Why?
A couple of reasons, first, just take a look in a decent sized pikes mouth, any help is gratefully received, I have had 27lb traces mangled/damaged and in need of disposal, I'm not sure a 15lb trace would have survived
such treatment.
Second, the thinner the wire the more damage it can cause to the pikes mouth, and it's body if it rolls itself in the wire.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I agree with BB. I mostly use good old Drennan 7 strand and old stock of Leeda 30lb. I've not found the need to go lighter but I'm on larger wilder waters that cong perhaps see pressure that some waters will

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

I always go on the heavy side for pike fishing, you can not risk leaving hooks in a pike's mouth, I used to use Drennan 7 strand 28lb and now I use 45lb wire and 20lb line, I don't like braid for main lines, I think it is bad for fish and wildlife,just my opinion

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too now agree - having used single strand 15lb - 7 strand 15lb - multi strand 20lb - now nearer to 30lb or above.

Mangled traces can be common especially with smaller pike taking the bait - they seem to twist & wriggle much more than their larger brethren. Hence the thicker trace which is less susceptible.

A 20lber fights hard but seldom if ever rolls on the line! It is led by the mouth to the 50in net. It only seems likely when paternostering a bait and an uptrace is being used to prevent a bite or cut-off.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I'v used that 15lbs Drennon for some time now and just ordered some more ... always found it good..
I wouldn't take it to Loch Lomond though, might need an upgrade!!!

Mr B
Ps.. made Pike rigs out of coat hangers years ago.. the Pike didn't seem to mind!
Got the idea from the Brixham Conger fishing boats.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Eagle Claw is expensive but easy to use as it can be tied like braid.
Mark Davies

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Aren't they just made up traces - not lengths - 5 - 10m - of wire?

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:34 pm
Hovis wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks
BB
Why?
A couple of reasons, first, just take a look in a decent sized pikes mouth, any help is gratefully received, I have had 27lb traces mangled/damaged and in need of disposal, I'm not sure a 15lb trace would have survived
such treatment.
Second, the thinner the wire the more damage it can cause to the pikes mouth, and it's body if it rolls itself in the wire.

Thanks
BB

Hmmm. I've never once experienced a pike being cut by a wire trace despite catching the odd one in the past. The difference between 15lb and the 27lb version is exactly .01mm. Not sure if that is significant enough to prevent these cuts if they occur? As a side note I've used braided hook lengths extensively for both carp and tench fishing and never suffered a "cut" despite there thin diameter. Hook damage yes, but not obviously ones from the line.

I also think that thicker wire is far more likely to get kinked than its thinner and more supply equivalent. I'm happy to change my trace after each fish of required but haven't found kinking to be an issue after every fish. The material is stainless steel so durability should be no issue. I've certainly not found that 15lb is less durable than a higher breaking strain. Indeed I've never suffered a break with it.

Interesting comment about leaving hooks in fish. Is it not better for a trace to break rather than the mainline? A fish trailing any length of line can't be good, nor can leaving any form of tackle in a fish, hooks and traces included.
I think heavy lines and braid need careful consideration. Modern rods, braid and mega strength line give some anglers the opportunity to really bully fish. This is where I have seen much damage done. Unfortunately the "fish at all cost" brigade seem to still exist. Although thankfully not on this forum.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some interesting comments there - not necessarily about wire! More difficult to kink the thicker it is, some plastic coated wire doesn't even flex!

During the first few times I used braid, once was a disaster for my forefinger. The clutch was slightly loose and the line slipped as I cast cutting into my forefinger like a sharp knife! Extremely painful. Thereafter the clutch was tight as tight can be. I now use a leather finger stall if casting for the 'other bank' with a heavy bait - mackerel - or a big feeder.

Playing fish with 'modern' rods, reels and lines has changed for the most part with all three being active. Hence my liking of cane - softer and slower plus feeling every lunge - beautiful - in its place.

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”