Reel foot covers

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Reel foot covers

Post by Duckett »

Not exactly traditional but browsing t’interweb I found these little reel foot covers. They are very stretchy and described as being protectors but I though they might have a better use - to make a centrepin foot slightly larger so as to fit larger reel bands on rods! Up until today, I had a Wizard with reel bands so large that hardly any of my ‘pins would stay on, now I can use almost any with it!
ImageImage

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Reel foot covers

Post by Old Man River »

I can see exactly why you would want them Phil, I have had the same problem with a couple of rods, and they seem a good idea to boot.

What I cannot understand though is why somebody would want their reel seats “ protected “unless they were made for the tackle tart who must have everything ( I am not calling you a TT PHil, your use of them seems eminently sensible )

David .
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Old Man River wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:18 pm I can see exactly why you would want them Phil, I have had the same problem with a couple of rods, and they seem a good idea to boot.

What I cannot understand though is why somebody would want their reel seats “ protected “unless they were made for the tackle tart who must have everything ( I am not calling you a TT PHil, your use of them seems eminently sensible )

David .
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: I thought precisely that David! Let me put it this way, my Gary Mills feet will remain unshod!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Another solution looking for a problem!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

A great way of minimising paint loss from the foot of a treasured reel. So many vintage reels seem to be immaculate apart from a small amount of paint loss from the foot.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

For years I’ve been using shrink tube over the reel feet to make a snug fit on rods with free running reel bands. Makes a big difference in having a nice snug fit and not having to worry about it detaching from the rod or constantly twisting.

Those little chaps look like a good solution :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Bicycle inner tube has been doing that job for decades

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The postage from Japan is about 5 times the price of the item! Used for showing reels in Japan and US.

They seem to delight in showing lures as well!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:31 pm The postage from Japan is about 5 times the price of the item! Used for showing reels in Japan and US.

They seem to delight in showing lures as well!
These came from Scotland! 4 for a tenner, including postage. Seemed worth a punt and I’m happy.

Now, if you had been talking about the N Gauge model trains I get from Japan …………..

Phil

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I think they could be really useful. Yes, inner tube does the job but so do many other makeshift solutions. I reckon I could find a use for these with a couple of rods that have slightly oversized reel bands for my reels. Could you send me the link please or pop it up here?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”