Fishing lily pads?

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Fishing lily pads?

Post by Olly »

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

From memory, look like the first one Olly.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I spend most of my current angling time attempting to catch carp from the surface, usually in among, or very close to lily pads. I have come to the conclusion that to realistically be relatively successful to hook, play and land carp from around high doubles to close to 30lb in lily pads you really do need 15lb line. In these circumstances I use a B. James S/U Mark IV or an older rod ( which was probably a Hardy that has been refurbished), as both have the capability to ease a heavy carp out of pads. I do still lose some fish but usually to hook pulls, or the hook ends up being embedded in a lily root. Although I only fish with cane rods I do use modern reels for this type of fishing ( Shimano 4000 being my favourite as it is similar in size to a Mitchell 300 and has the drag on the front), as from experience a really good clutch set to just off full lock is essential, allowing a powerful carp to just be able to slowly take some line.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Pulling the fish hard towards any potential snag from the moment of the strike often makes them go in the opposite direction. Ancient trick so you gents are probably well aware of this! It doesn't always work either but seeing as nobody has mentioned it I thought I'd put it up for your thought and discussion :Hat:

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Most of the carp I catch are around the 10lb Mark on a good day, so I can’t speak about anything heavier. Two ponds that I fish have pads favoured by carp and the rods I use are either the 550 or a similar type. I only use line up to about 6lb max. A method I sometimes have success with is to cast onto a pad then when a carp comes cruising and nibbling the pad, slowly drag the bait off the edge. The advantage being that if quickly taken then it is easier to keep the carp’s head above the lilies. If a fish becomes tangled, then I release line and often the fish will work out a way to untangle itself. If all else fails and the fish is a safe distance from the pad, I’ll sometimes make use of a weed hook on a spare net handle to cut through the stem.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It may go against the grain but a glass fibre or carbon rod won't develop a set when bent double. Sometimes sensible over sentiment is the key :Wink:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good glassfibre rod (Conoflex) with ceramic lined guides and a 'tough' 4 strand braid mainline (on a G&Y ARS 'pin) fg/pr knotted to a leader of clear 12lb clear maxima and a size 4 (Kamasn/drennan super specimen) is my usual set up for crusting the pads Dave :Sun:
(Not that I've done much of that this summer due to other commitments :surrender:)

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

If all else fails when stuck in lilies.....down to the panties! :whistle:

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

If I went for a dip it would be like the scene from King Kong Skull Island fighting the monster in the river (and some ladies may faint too)! Anyway, wading is banned. Sightly heavier cane rods are a possibility - LRH2, Martin James Leame De Luxe, etc, or alternatively a glass rod - Hardy Carp No2, B&W SU, etc...really don't want to knacker up a MkIV!
Thank you all for your help.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Liphook wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:37 am Good glassfibre rod (Conoflex) with ceramic lined guides and a 'tough' 4 strand braid mainline (on a G&Y ARS 'pin) fg/pr knotted to a leader of clear 12lb clear maxima and a size 4 (Kamasn/drennan super specimen) is my usual set up for crusting the pads Dave :Sun:
(Not that I've done much of that this summer due to other commitments :surrender:)
You obviously mean business :Wink:

Grumpy If all else fails when stuck in lilies.....down to the panties My last fish that was stuck in lilies, meant a naked dip to free it. Had it occurred about three minutes later, a woman and her dog would have marveled at my fine masculine physique :eyebrow: that is hidden under a lot of flab and hair :Hahaha:

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”