Hook size inconsistencies

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Old Man River
Eel

Re: Hook size inconsistencies

Post by Old Man River »

I am really confused and actually against selling line by diameters, maybe it is old fashioned but I do like to know what the manufacturer says the breaking strain is , after all, it may be a thin line with a high breaking strain, prestretched mono, or then again a thin line with a low BS .

Would you target a big strong fish like a Pike or Carp with a low dia line not knowing what BS it
was ? I certainly would not . To me the manufacturers were just creating a solution to a problem that did not exist, and anglers, well at least some, were “ convinced enough “to make the manufacture of said lines a profitable business. I think it was a created fashion for modern anglers who like to have the latest gadgets and gizmos.

Braid is another subject altogether , one that does not confuse me at all as I will not use it in freshwater , for salt, no problem.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Modern 'Super Braids' I find excellent for many but not all applications in fresh and saltwater - as a mainline for lure fishing, trolling/drift fishing/trotting baits for pike (and ferrox) and also as a general mainline where extra sensitivity from lack of stretch and/or low diameter 'strength', floatation and the ability to cut through flow/tide/soft weed is required eg (in my own fishing) uptiding, fishing still waters with potomageton lined margins or trotting baits for pike in snaggy rivers where hooks can be bent out thus saving unwanted tackle loss litter. In all of these applications I use a trace or leader of some sort. I wouldn't dream of using it direct to any hook as the cheesewire effect of lower diameter 'strength' is horrendous on the mouth/skull/body of the fish. Similarly I've found it's lack of stretch does not suit my own beach casting needs.
I agree that consistent and true methods of testing and labelling both diameters and breaking strains are needed (but I very much doubt we'll get it!) Likewise with stretch and abrasion resistances and, to get back on topic, hook sizing - I strongly suspect we the consumer will be kept guessing!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It was my understanding that fishing hooks were 'sized' by the thickness of the wire involved in the making using an old Imperial measure..though checking out the Standard Wire Gauge thicknesses would seem to repute that...they'd be far too thick? Maybe there was another Gauge?

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

This is what Angling Direct have to say about hook sizing:

It seems to confirm what I suspected, that there is no consistency between manufacturers. The best bet is to see the hooks in the flesh before you part with your money to confirm that they're suitable for your intended application.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Size 2/0 for plastic maggots?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:46 am Size 2/0 for plastic maggots?
:Hahaha:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Hook sizes are all over the place now. Maybe they always were. You just have to take a look in the shop, if you can find one. Or take pot luck.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Find the size in the pattern that suits you best and forget the rest. This isn't a new issue, back on the day my favourite au lion d'or hook sizes bore no relation to those of the mustad patterns that my mate's were using. That's my two penn'orth.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:14 am
Nigel Rainton wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:46 am Size 2/0 for plastic maggots?
:Hahaha:
Now I know where I've been going wrong. :doh: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I always use size 20s as the fish are small ,my problem is the fine line,pre stretched I now have found that a darker line is easier to see.Maxima is ideal for main line ,but does any hook manufacturers use it for hook length ? Terry

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”