And the Roach keep coming

This forum is for discussing roach.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Re: And the Roach keep coming

Post by TrentFisher »

Catfish.017 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:58 pm
TrentFisher wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:21 pm A very nice session indeed well fished.
I have pretty much fished for roach on the Trent all season so far.
Trotting wheat or bread and taken some nice fish.
It was interesting the success from fishing the eddy.I normally try this when there is a little extra water or being honest I need a session where I sit instead of standing for 4/5 hours trotting.
Watching a float in an eddy is always full of promise and your results have triggered me to give it a go very soon.
I normally fish it laying on and moving the float every so often down the swim.......tight corking has it was referred to in the older books published where this subject is mentioned or similar?

I wish you more success for future outings.
All the best-Nige.
Thanks Nige, and yes I was quite surprised when the first Roach came from the eddy, particularly when most of the fish that had 'topped' up to that point had been nearer the far bank than midstream. As you say it's more a floodwater tactic really , the water was quite clear last night (no appreciable rain for weeks) also the eddy wasn't a steady, consistent movement, varying from completely slack to quite a strong back tow on occasions.
I tend to think of eddies as service stations on a motorway dropping out of the fast lane and finding a place to rest ,feed and revive before heading off again. The varied flow of the eddy aids collecting food including the anglers bait....just a thought.
As you described the increased activity in the river giving an insight to amount of fish present as the daylight fades can be incredible at times.
I have lost count the number of times I have witness this on my local stretch of the Trent.
I tend to fish late afternoon till the light fades in the summer/Autumn and in winter a late start of around 11.00am till dark or even not starting until 1.00pm...but that is the good fortune of having the river within walking distance...lucky me.
All the best Nige.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Yes I was shocked at the transformation, the river, about twenty odd yards wide here, was like a conveyor belt of rising fish. Can't wait to return! Where are you on the Trent Nige ?

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent sport Catfish! Here's to you having many more successes :Hat:

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”