Cockles and Mussels....

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Cockles and Mussels....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Whilst wandering through a local convenience store yesterday I came upon a few jars of cockles and also some jars of Mussels. I purchased a jar of each with thoughts of using them to catch some wonderful specimen tench, I wish!!!!
My question is, do I use them straight from the jar, or do I wash the vinegar off before using, or have I got the wrong ones and should just eat them myself.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Cockles and Mussels....

Post by Barbelseeker »

No - as far as I am concerned - not recommended. Go to Farm Foods and buy a bag of frozen mussels

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Just eat them!
I had no success, but frozen ones work fine.
I intend to try a bit of squid sometime.
I also intend to experiment with finding a way of toughening up fish sticks, as they would be very economical if they work.

By the way, I was in B&M*for wild bird food the other day, sometimes they have tulip luncheon meat in very cheap, but think it's very popular so you need to time your visit.

*note for you posh people here, B&M is sort of downmarket Lidl :Wink:

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Eat them yourself!
But in moderation, as I learned to my cost.
When I was a student in Wales in the 70's, I lingered too long on the trout stream one evening, and missed dinner.
So I wandered down to the pub, hoping that there might be a dry old pie lingering in the warmer, or at least a scotch egg in the fridge.
Nothing, all gone apart from the dusty jars of pickled cockles which had decorated the shelves for years.
So I bought and ate four jars of the things.
I shall end my story there.

Most bigger supermarkets will sell frozen mussels for £3 to £4 a bag, and a bag or two will see you through a long day. Chop some up and use as regular loose feed, as you would maggots.
I once bought a bag of mixed seafood by mistake, which included mussels, whelks, cockles, winkles and squid. They all caught fish, but no one worked noticeably better than the others. It was more expensive than mussels alone, so I didn't bother using them again.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have some fantastic days using cockles but I buy them fresh from the market or supermarket rather than those in jars. As well as carp I've caught tench, crucians, chub and big perch on cockles.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Cheers guys, that's supper sorted for two evenings with a slice or two of brown bread....

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A pal of mine often fishes cockles from a jar for carp in early spring. I personally don't rate them so rake my own from the beach, steam them quickly until they begin to open and allow to cool/ drain on a riddle over a large groundbait bucket. De shell, bag then freeze. Keep the liquor and freeze in old milk cartons to add to groundbait. Great for tench and small pieces have on occasion worked well for crucians, however they can attract lots of interest from pesky bream and eels.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Picked are not good.
Get frozen cooked mussels from a supermarket (Morrison's do them in resealable bags which is useful) and you can get cockles (small clams) from an oriental supermarket.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think the vinegar is not liked by fish! Tried the jars on several occasions over the years - - nil!

Frozen cockles & mussels - no problem!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Thanks guys, tonight's supper is.... Yes you guessed right....

Thanks
BB

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”