It came good today.

This forum is for discussing tench.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

It came good today.

Post by Grumpy »

"Morning matey,got any cockles?"
"Sorry Guv,none,no idea when they'll next be in."
Damn I thought as I left the fishmongers.Should have bought a couple of pints when he had them.A quick trip to Tescos and a pack of frozen prawns was purchased,along with pasties,biccy's and crisps.I do hate getting hungry at the bankside.
Next morning,Friday, the alarm woke me at 4.00am.A quick coffee,flask made,prawns and fodder taken from the fridge,gear put in the van and I'm off and away.
I arrived at my chosen venue,one of my clubs waters just before six.I would like to get there earlier but club rule "No fishing before 6am" put the kybosh on that.Fumbling with the combination lock I swung the gate open,got the van through and locked up again.Short drive down the track and i was here.Deep joy!
The water in question holds some very good Tench but they are not easy,my last four trips have all met with precisely nothing.Hence the prawns that should have been cockles.I have used them on other water's and they seem to have been working.Will prawns do the same here?
I got to my chosen swim and had a quick look at the water,Tench were fizzing in that lovely way they have and I felt confident despite the rain and strong wind,which came from behind me.
I tackled up my Kennet Perfection and 'pin with a 3bb waggler,4.5bs main line,3bs hooklength and size 8.One no4 six inches from the hook,the rest a little further up.I had already put some freebies in,a couple of handfuls of hemp,sweetcorn and some broken prawns.A goodly sized prawn was threaded on and the first cast of the day was made.
Sitting back with a coffee I didn't have long to wait before the float slid nicely away.I struck and was met with firm resistance.Great thinks me,suddenly the resistance changed to a jag,jag.Sure enough,a small Eel surfaced.Hmmm I thought,this isn't the plan.Eel unhooked and returned I recast.A few minutes later exactly the same thing,a slightly bigger Eel of about a pound.I reely didn't plan this!
A bit more loose feed was put in but no prawns,hoping the Eels would vacate the area.This seemed to work as I started catching the odd small Roach and Rudd(I had changed to a size 12 and a small piece of prawn.Then the Bream joined the party and I had three all about 2lb in quick succession.Still no Tinca!
About 11.15 the float slid away and all hell broke loose.The Tench(I hoped) shot off to the left into some lilies,came out and charged to the right into open water.This it continued to do for several minutes,at one point I thought I may be into a Carp.The KP was handling it all like a trooper,a fine bend and everything felt right through to the butt.Great stuff!Eventually the fish started to tire and started to come within netting range.When it came into sight I had a Victor Meldrew moment "I don't believe it!" A big Eel of at least 3lb came grudgingly into the net,hooked fair and square in the tail!
So much for it being a Tench or a Carp,what a fight though.
Out with another piece of prawn and fifteen minutes later off went the float again.Into the lilies it went,then out into open water,back into lilies then under the rod top.A few more thumps and short surges,came to the surface and raised her pectorals in surrender when she spotted the cane.A fine Tench,huzza!On the scales she went 5lb 6oz a gorgeous looking Tench.A couple of quick pics and back she went.
I had a couple more small Roach and Rudd and all went quiet.I found out why a short time later,the float slid away and after another fine fight a Pike with a taste for prawn was landed.
A couple more small Bream were taken but no Tench or Eels.I packed up well pleased with the day,pleasant surroundings,a good catch and hardly anyone around.What more could you want?
I have absolutely nothing against Eels,in fact I used to be in The National Anguilla Club.I just wish they would stop following me around!

Hope you enjoy this piece,
All the best,
Grumpy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: It came good today.

Post by Dave Burr »

Certainly a mixed bag, who needs tench when you can hook eels in their tail for that special fight :Chuckle:

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Re: It came good today.

Post by Wanderer »

Sounds like a right grand day.

Congratulations Grumpy.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”