"Waters of Arun"

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
RoyO
Stickleback

"Waters of Arun"

Post by RoyO »

by A. Hadrian Allcroft
Published in 1930.
This is an absolute must for anyone who fishes this (to me) extremely difficult river. The extent to which the Arun's course has been modified over the centuries is remarkable. I've pointed out a few things to anglers met along the way who could hardly credit that they were fishing a section of the river that was totally artificial - up to a couple of miles distant from its original course. A quick check shows copies available on Abe starting at £30 - which is more than I'd expect...
ImageImageImageImage

Kev D
Chub

Re: "Waters of Arun"

Post by Kev D »

A friend's Uncle worked on the River Authority chalk barge on the Arun into the 1960s.( Local wisdom has it rumoured that a certain famous adventurer who demolished part of a certain filmset aquired his explosives from the River Authority's chalk quarry on the Arun. Could just be a local myth of course.) There was a continual process of shoring-up the banks and keeping the river navigable .
But yes , the river pretty much runs through an artificial channel . I have friends that farm the area and they've unearther old fish traps in fields hundreds of yards from the present course of the river.
But do l need another book? 🤔🙄🙄😁
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

RoyO
Stickleback

Post by RoyO »

The cut at Greatham bypasses the former loop of the river via Coldwaltham. The motive was to recover land that was getting regularly inundated - which was the case for much of the river. In Medieval times the tide ran little farther than North Stoke as I recall where the route of Stane Street passed over a ford. Nowadays of course it runs up to Pulborough on account of the flood banks.
The area that used to really interest me, although I haven't been there for years, is Watersfield. At low tide there are huge humps which stand many feet above the level of the low water. They look like anthills on the savannah! They appear to be mud but can't be as they would be swept away - I can only assume that they're actually bedrock.
That section is really beautiful at low tide with huge stands of Bullrushes around which the river floods out quite a bit. The course of the stream is tantalising with runs of streamer weed that could fool you into thinking it was the Avon or similar. Shouts Chub! and Barbel! The latter having got into the Arun from the Rother I think. But however much I tried I never caught either there, just Bream and small stuff. Incredibly tricky to negotiate the tidal variations and amazingly fast water.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Those humps at Watersfield are indeed solid!
I've stood on them at low tide a few times and trotted the channels between them. All l caught were dace ,tiny chub and bleak but they look as if something more interesting really should be around there somewhere.
Someone with more fishing skill than me could probably find out😁.
I think the rise in the tidal limit came about when serious attempts to make the river navigable up to Pulborough then to Pallingham were made over the course of the years . This involved buying up fand destroying fishery weirs to open the channel .The woods that lay close to Pallingham were l have been told, part of the Arundel
Estate so a water route was probably the quickest way of getting timber ,charcoal and glass from the woods down to Arundel.
Then when the Arun Navigation company built its cut from Pallingham to join the Wey Navigation at Billingshurst it inherited the headache of keeping the whole river navigable . It had to keep the banks stable and the river dredged and free of obstructions. But due to the right of free navigation on tidal water the Company could not charge river users for the improvements . Yet they had to keep the river open so that vessels could reach the Company-owned
canal section where they could start charging tolls .
The construction by the Company of the Hardham Tunnel bypassed the Pulborough loop of river thus saving a bit of travel time and enabling the Company to charge a toll for its use .
I do agree with you RoyO; The middle section of the Arun is very Avon-like in places . I'm probably biased
but if l owned both rivers l"d rent out the Avon as a day ticket glamping water sport centre and keep the Arun to myself. Though she can be very annoyingly fickle!😁
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

RoyO
Stickleback

Post by RoyO »

Thanks for solving one mystery Kev. I would have been mortified if you'd told me that you'd had many huge fish at that stretch! This year I rejoined Pulborough AS so I've fished Greatham a couple of times without much success. However the one Bream about 5lb I caught was amazingly energetic compared to the lake dwellers I'm used to catching'. I haven't read "Waters..." for about 15 years so I really ought to re-read it. However the same applies to hundreds of volumes surrounding it.
I'm exhausted having got up at 3.45 to fish for Tench from a punt on a local lake. By 12.00 I'd had six up to about 4 lb and was incinerated. But any day when you catch more than one Tench is a well spent day. May have a bash at the Arun on Friday if the tides are convenient.
Roy

RoyO
Stickleback

"The Arun and Western Rother"

Post by RoyO »

another book which I own on the same subject - author Robert H. Goodsall, published in 1962.
The publication date is smack on an era when I was regularly fishing the Rother, aged 14, after cycling from Walberton with all my gear (Efgeeco Tackle box/seat) via Bury Hill - and back. Cycling UP Bury Hill these days would surely kill me even before I'd gone half a mile.
This is a more discursive book about the region as opposed to the detailed historical analysis found in "Waters..." It's also relatively inexpensive. A west Sussex dealer has a very nice copy with dust jacket for <£10.
I'm starting to get an urge to find one of the "Arun" rods...

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

I haven’t got the book with me so can’t rember its title ( the author owns the estate ) but the stretch of the Arun on the Knepp Estate which has gone over to re - wilding has a mention in the book about trying to restore the river back to its original course.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Rutland Rod wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:29 pm I haven’t got the book with me so can’t rember its title ( the author owns the estate ) but the stretch of the Arun on the Knepp Estate which has gone over to re - wilding has a mention in the book about trying to restore the river back to its original course.
It's one branch of the Adur thay runs through Knepp. The Arun is a little more to the West though some of the Adur and Arun headwaters run pretty close to each other .

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Thanks for that info Roy- I’d not previously heard of that publication and, as an Arun fanatic, it’s a must have for my book collection so I’ll certainly have to search for a copy.
You might also be aware of ‘Fishing the Arun Valley’ by Michael Kernan??? A little gem published in the mid 90s.
If you’re out and about on P.A.S stretches, keep an eye out for me bobbing about in my ancient Orkney Longliner( built locally in Ford)
The ‘ humps’ you mention are indeed rock, and can be quite a hazard to negotiate if I have a cast too many before returning to my mooring on an ebbing tide.
The river is indeed a challenge , and is not for the faint hearted but does hold afew surprises.I’ll hazard a guess that your punt ‘tenching’ might also be on a venue I fish as well.

RoyO
Stickleback

Post by RoyO »

Hi Jeff
well I'm consumed with envy. Every time I fished the Arun over the decades it's been obvious to me that the ideal way to tackle it would be from a boat. I assume that you moor in Houghton/Amberley? - can't think of anywhere else I've seen moorings other than occasionally on private jetties attached to houses I could only dream of inhabiting. When I first moved back to Sussex in 2004 I was determined to buy a small boat of some kind but the practicalities and costs involved gradually eliminated the fantasy.
As a schoolboy my father had a friend who had a boat moored in Littlehampton - alongside the ramshackle and perilous jetty on the western side of the estuary. We always used to go out a few times during the Black Bream season - terrific sport with all kinds of other species too. Amazingly, at the time you couldn't give those Bream away! Now you pay £15 in a restaurant for an 8 oz farmed Bream...
I also used to fish off the old jetty that protruded out on the western side of the river beyond the beaches. About 18 inches wide and ridiculously dangerous. One of many great things about having spent my childhood and youth in the countryside was that I barely thought twice about taking that kind of risk. Luckily I survived!
The "Arun and Western Rother" books are available on AbeBooks at this link:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... ther&sts=t
Roy

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”