Altex no2 MkV spitfire finish

The Hardy Reels forum.
Darjeeling
Dace

Altex no2 MkV spitfire finish

Post by Darjeeling »

Hello chaps.

I have just acquired this Altex no2 MkV, it’s my first Altex (although I’ve wanted one for long while). It really is a lovely piece of engineering and all works very beautifully so I’m very pleased. The seller described it as having a ‘Spitfire’ finish - it has no paint and the body isn’t leaded or burnished. I’m wondering if this finish is (as I suspect) something that’s been done by a previous owner after original manufacture or was it a finish that Hardy offered? Either way it’s been done very professionally.

I have another question which regards the drag. Mine is all assembled correctly and works very smoothly, however the ticking noise of the clutch in operation is very quiet. I doubt if I would hear it in the throes of a giant fish (I should be so lucky!) Is this what I should expect or is it that the spring and or clicker are just old and worn?

Thanks in advance for any help given. :read: :Hat: Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cat
Chub

Re: Altex no2 MkV spitfire finish

Post by Cat »

Hi,
The clutch noise does tend to be quite subtle, although it varies from reel to reel (probably dependent upon wear, as you say). Lovely reels. Enjoy and oil the bearings by running a few drops down the worm gear shaft regularly)!
Regards Cat

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

In my humble opinion the finish has been removed.

"Spitfire" finish was a term invented by Jamie Maxtone Graham to describe papered and lacquered reels produced during WWII rather than the bronzed or black painted reels. Many subsequent dealers removed the finish in order to enhance the resale value of reels with a worn finish.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

StefanDuma wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 pm In my humble opinion the finish has been removed.

"Spitfire" finish was a term invented by Jamie Maxtone Graham to describe papered and lacquered reels produced during WWII rather than the bronzed or black painted reels. Many subsequent dealers removed the finish in order to enhance the resale value of reels with a worn finish.
I know far less that you Stefan but I came to precisely the same conclusion. It’s always nice to know that someone’s research agrees with ones instincts.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Duckett wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:36 pm
StefanDuma wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 pm In my humble opinion the finish has been removed.

I know far less that you Stefan but I came to precisely the same conclusion. It’s always nice to know that someone’s research agrees with ones instincts.

Phil
There is a longer thread on Spitfire finish in one of the threads.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

StefanDuma wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 pm
Duckett wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:36 pm

Phil
There is a longer thread on Spitfire finish in one of the threads.
Thank you Stefan. I shall seek that out.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Darjeeling
Dace

Post by Darjeeling »

Cat wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:11 pm Hi,
The clutch noise does tend to be quite subtle, although it varies from reel to reel (probably dependent upon wear, as you say). Lovely reels. Enjoy and oil the bearings by running a few drops down the worm gear shaft regularly)!
Regards Cat
Hello Cat,

Sound advice & many thanks

Darjeeling :Hat:

Darjeeling
Dace

Post by Darjeeling »

As I suspected, thank you Stefan for the info & link.
Darjeeling :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think the clutch is not making any noise...it's the anti-reverse pawl.

That said, the clutches can be funny on these reels with many appearing to have what looks like the remains of a broken double helix spring inside. In fact so often that it's absolutely possible the spring is meant to be like that! It's just that some aren't.......

I always thought the term Spitfire Finish to be suspect.....OK Spits were made out of aluminium....but even the last high altitude ones were painted....a pale pink actually!

You did very well there, the rexine box and both tools. Rarely seen all together and the reel has the two screws for the rail that supports the link steady ( by the left hand side oil port) which may have been done during service to early reels as they wore. Possibly later reels had it at the time of manufacture.

Jamie Maxtone Graham eh?

Return to “Hardy Reels”