Eureka 4" in need of TLC

The Hardy Reels forum.
OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Eureka 4" in need of TLC

Post by OhMyGoodness »

I recently acquired a Hardy Eureka 4" reel. These are far scarcer than the more usual 3 1/2" model. Peronally I like my centrepins to be about 4" in size and preferably wide drum for ease of doing the Wallis cast. I once bought a new Aerial match 4 1/2" in the '70's but hated the check knob on the backplate. I like lever checks. My first Speedia had a bit of a wobble but still cast well, even though they come in at 4 1/4". I had normal Aerials of 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" but sold them. I got a post-war Aerial C815 3 3/4" but sold that too. When the new Leeds reel came out, I saw the ads. in the Angling Times, and travelled up to the shop in Leeds to buy one. I got one without handles, but soon found it too large and cumbersome .... sold. I'd bought a new old stock Rapidex from a shop in Windor in 1970. My first centrepin as it looked like the Flick-em which Mr. Crabtree used. I couldn't get on with the caged design and still don't like caged reels for casting. I do still like Allcocks Easicast reels. Casting became one of the delights of angling for me so I enjoyed using multipliers, especially Abu Ambassadeurs, and all this before I became acquainted with Hardy tackle.
Those who know Hardy reels know that they originally concentrated on the game fishers, for Salmon and Trout, but later came to realise the vast number of coarse anglers in Britain. Unfortunately these were mainly unable to afford Hardy tackle and contented themselves with Allcocks, Youngs and many other manufacturers products. However Hardy began to produce several Bottom fishing reels, which could also be used by the Grayling angler. The Silex range could be used for Pike as well as Salmon, as could Altex and Elarex reels. The Eureka was made quite early and was very attractive with its perforated faceplate. This was made right up to the 1950's. The Hardy Wallis was made in 3 1/2" and 4" and is a beautiful reel but was produced in far less numbers than the Eureka. The 4" Eureka wasn't made all that long and was expensive to pre and post war anglers. Actually the Eureka and Wallis No.2 reels are winches, not centrepins, since they use a telephone latch to retain the drum which doesn't have a bearing unlike the Wallis No.1. Post-war Hardy made the Conquest of 4 1/4" in two versions, both narrow drum and with removeable line guide. A budget centrepin, the Triumph (not related to the Silex Triumph), was sold in 3 1/4" and 4" but the 4" is comparatively rare. So most Hardy collectors or users agree that the Hardy Wallis No.1 reels with their jewelled bearings, were the epitome of the Hardy Bottom fishing centrepin reels.
I'm not sure if any Wallis reels were made post-war and the Eureka in the 4" size didn't last long. Post-war reels of nearly all types can be recognised by the straight line lettering as opposed to the curved type used pre-war. Often in many Hardy reel types which were produced both before and after the war, the leaded finish was superceded by a painted finish, and the few reels produced during and immediately after the war even had simple black paint which wasn't very durable. Also reel seats of brass pre-war changed to alloy and were rivetted instead of retained by screws.
My 4" Eureka is certainly post-war with its straight lettering and rivetted foot. Both the 3 1/2" and 4" post-war Eureka reels changed from a lever check on the reel rim to an alloy knob on the backplate.
My reel has some obvious damage, probably from being dropped. There is a little chunk out of the drum rim and a gap in the reel cage plus a slight rough bit at the edge of the backplate. The main problem is that the alloy check knob and internal part to allow the check to be applied or released is missing. The check pawl is still there. If I disabled the check mechanism, not easy as the componets are rivetted to the backplate, the reel would rotate fine and could be used without any check, so the actual free-running of the reel hasn't been affected.
The last two photos show a post-war Eureka 3 1/2"and one can see the parts missing from mine.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Eureka 4" in need of TLC

Post by AshbyCut »

I hope that this additional information may be of interest, OhMyGoodness Sir.

The factory Production Book figures listed in John Drewett's book "Hardy Brothers. The Masters The Men And Their Reels" show that the original 4 inch version of the Eureka was introduced in 1932 and ran through until 1938, during which period only 452 were made.

In his book "The Hardy Book of the Reel," David Stanley says that the final year when the 4 inch was made was 1953 (though some stock may have remained on tackle shop shelves for a few years afterwards).

John Drewett's book also shows that the Wallis No.1 and No.2 reels (and the mega-rare No.1 Special, of which only 1 was made !) were produced between 1931 and 1939.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Thanks. Were there any photos or details of the special in Drewett book?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well Evert is the repair man!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

OhMyGoodness wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:30 am Thanks. Were there any photos or details of the special in Drewett book?
No photo ... just a brief mention in the text of "the special 4 1/2 inch No. 1 reel, recorded as having been made for a customer in 1933." A phrase including a reference to a rocking horse springs to my mind !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Just incase any of you have spares or broken reels for parts. The Conquest with the hole and post war Eurekas share the same check knob.
Any out there?

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

So I've done a bit to get this working. I have a broken Eureka 3 1/2" which is post-war so managed to remove the check knob and internal bit and fitted them to this so its check works fine and the drum runs freely. The chip out of the rim and broken cage doesn't affect running so I've left them for now. It's quite fishable. OK for ten quid.

Don't know if I can swap the handles as they're rivetted.

Return to “Hardy Reels”