Rigging a pole

An area to discuss your cane fishing poles.
Martin James
Eel

Re: Rigging a pole

Post by Martin James »

Eric its worked fine, especially when I hooked a bream around 5lbs, I will be using it when the season starts again, its so nice to accurately drop the baited hook down t edge of the cabbages where I expect the better quality roach to be, I might also take it to the Soar this summer.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

AshbyCut wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:31 pm I too, Sir, am a novice in the world of cane pole fishing ... having recently acquired one too.

In his excellent book "Poles Apart," Michael Nadell says this ...

"The top joint always had a wire eye on the tip which is whipped half way in fine copper wire and completed in black silk, while lower down the joint, a look od wire is whipped in the same fashion. The wire was used to stop friction from the topping cutting into the whipping silk. In the 1880's most anglers simply tied their topping to the eye of the tip, made a loop in the other end of the topping, and slipped the loop over the wire which was whipped about twelve inches from the tip, making it easy to store when the pole was packed away and saved time tackling up on the next trip."

My 1950's Sowerbutts pole also has two tips, one a little finer than the other ... as I understand it a roach tip and a bream tip.

It has two pieces of wire shaped like 'hooks' and facing in opposite directions whipped to the section below the tip, about 11 inches apart. I understand this can be used as a 'reservoir' of the main line allowing you wind line between the 'hooks' and let out one 'loop' if extra line is needed. This would give an extra 22 inches per 'loop.'

With regard to your concerns about 'spreading the load,' I found this video on youtube explaining how to rig a modern American cane pole ... involving winding the main line around the tip and second sections ... which appears to answer this problem ... and I intend to experiment with it in the coming new season. Maybe not entirely 'traditional' but worth trying it out, I thought.

I hope this at least gives you something to think about.

I have just watched this Video, very interesting.
Been thinking of getting a cane pole for a while now.
Had to laugh at the end...
"Like to practice catch and release in a frying pan"
Me too with the right fish.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

He is using the pole as we would a whip! IE - fishing to hand. No unshipping joints. No elastic.

The crook was attached to the end of fibreglass pole - but then poles were not 10m plus!!

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

I use a twisted elastic methid which our french match fishing mates used in the 70's. Try twisting some normal pole elastic against itself, then tying a knot both ends. It give you a neat twisted pattern and basically doubles up the elastic's strength under pressure. I dont use plastic Stonfo attactments as I find they can 'clunk' when lifting into a fish. I far prefer another french inspired system of a double loop, the main loop is doubled and pulled taught against the elastic, then can be easily detached when 'pulled', detaching the larger loop from the elastic. It offers a clunk free, continuous connection throughout the terminal tackle.

Return to “Cane Fishing Poles”