Degreasing Old Fixed Spool Reels

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Bogger
Stickleback

Re: Degreasing Old Fixed Spool Reels

Post by Bogger »

You can degrease with various products, as mentioned above. Personally I use 'panel wipe' degreaser as used in the automotive refinish industry.

It usually comes in 5lt tins. It will remove all grease and oils, very quickly. I put about 100ml in an old margarine/butter tub and use a paint brush to agitate and clean off the grease.

Panel wipe does not affect paintwork and dries within a few seconds. 5ltrs will cost about Β£15.00 to Β£20.00 and lasts for ages if not wasted.

If you have anything oily or greasy that needs cleaning, panel wipe will do the job.

Bogger

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Banksy wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:34 am A question from an engineering numpty.

What is the best way to remove old, hardened grease, when servicing a fixed spool reel?
Is there a magic degreasing solution, or is it just a matter of wiping it off using cotton buds and patience?
Petrol?
Meths?
WD40?
Washing-up liquid?
Lemon juice and vinegar?

My searches reveal no answer, it is as though this should be instinctive knowledge to any man!

Or, given my obvious lack of nous, should I send them off to a professional?
:Chuckle:
DW40, no question!

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

If you have other hobbies and are using a lot of degreaser, this stuff is inexpensive, does the trick, and does not stink the place up like ie Gunk, Jizer, WD40 etc.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stathamender wrote: ↑Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm To deal with possible corrosion problems caused by paint loss as mentioned by Nobby I spray the inside of the body with Corrosion X before reassembling and lubricating. Far better than WD40.
Agreed, I only use WD40 as a degreaser (which it does really well), along with some cotton buds to clear out tubes and corners, then the alcohol.

On the rebuild I brush a thin layer of blue ACF50 corrosion block grease on all internal surfaces, then more on the gears etc, I also use Lucas reel oil on some components.

I guess eveyone has their own lubrication preferences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

As per the Honorable Rockape I've had 100's of reels in pieces and for degreasing,nothing beats petrol.Also,for removing hard,compacted grease I only use Q-tips,lolly sticks and toothpicks to avoid scraping metal on metal.Better still,write some easy to understand instructions........and get to HER to do it for you.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

I think that your "Her" might just be a little bit more compliant than mine, Russell....
My request for her to degrease my fishing reels would be met by short shrift, as they say ! :Scared:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:06 pm As per the Honorable Rockape I've had 100's of reels in pieces and for degreasing,nothing beats petrol.Also,for removing hard,compacted grease I only use Q-tips,lolly sticks and toothpicks to avoid scraping metal on metal.Better still,write some easy to understand instructions........and get to HER to do it for you.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
A big thumbs up on petrol; that will beat WD40, hands down, but I have a mortal fear of using the stuff indoors (says he who uses IPA (not the beer) regularly..lol!).

And cotton buds / Q tips; I go through boxes of those like there's no tomorrow!

Btw Russ, talking of having lots of reels in pieces, I saw your TJH Bantam pics today, as I was perusing some old posts, and Wow! What a unique gear arrangement! After seeing that, a Bantam is now high on my list of wants. If you ever see another one for sale please let me know. :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Petrol and small paint brushes are mainly all I use. The artists brushes with stiff bristles are dead cheap and perfect for the job.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I much prefer to use GT85 rather than WD40 . Cotton buds are great , but occasionally leave fibres . Cheap toothbrushes work well , especially tight little areas .

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: ↑Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:26 am
Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:06 pm As per the Honorable Rockape I've had 100's of reels in pieces and for degreasing,nothing beats petrol.Also,for removing hard,compacted grease I only use Q-tips,lolly sticks and toothpicks to avoid scraping metal on metal.Better still,write some easy to understand instructions........and get to HER to do it for you.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
A big thumbs up on petrol; that will beat WD40, hands down, but I have a mortal fear of using the stuff indoors (says he who uses IPA (not the beer) regularly..lol!).

And cotton buds / Q tips; I go through boxes of those like there's no tomorrow!

Btw Russ, talking of having lots of reels in pieces, I saw your TJH Bantam pics today, as I was perusing some old posts, and Wow! What a unique gear arrangement! After seeing that, a Bantam is now high on my list of wants. If you ever see another one for sale please let me know. :Hat:
Hi Rockape,Yes the Bantam had a quite unique internal design.Regarding the TJH FSR's,it took me some time to accumulate all their different models but once I'd got them all my short term fanaticism was sated and I promptly sold all of them !!! If I see a Bantam though,Honorable Rockape will be messaged asap.It is foretold that your quest WILL have a reelly fruitful outcome.......Russ (ShyTangler).πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Return to β€œTraditional Reel Building and Restoring”