Merlin spring position

The Mordex Reels forum.
Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Merlin spring position

Post by Martin(rockape) »

Hi everyone. I've just bought myself a lovely Mordex Merlin and have given it a good clean. I've removed the central boss/release cap but I'm struggling to reassemble it. Can someone tell me the correct position for the spring in relation to the release lever please?

I have a rapidex so was wondering if the position is the same?
A diagram would be most helpful if possible.

Regards

Martin

SeanM
Tench

Re: Merlin spring position

Post by SeanM »

It's pretty much the same as the Rapidex Martin From memory the longer straight bit of the spring goes along the lever with the narrow part of the spring located near the lever pivot.

Hope that helps!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

SeanM wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:39 pm It's pretty much the same as the Rapidex Martin From memory the longer straight bit of the spring goes along the lever with the narrow part of the spring located near the lever pivot.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your input Sean. The description you give of the spring doesn't match the one i have.
I did contact the seller and he admitted that he has had problems refitting them in the past but couldn'tquite remember how except that the curved part fits against the release cap.

Maybe the spring i have isn't original and possibly from a Grice and young which is what i meant to say in my original post.

I'll have another go later failing that i will see if i can find a suitable piece of wire and fashion something to do the job.

Kind regards

Martin

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Take a look at those currently on the Bay. At least one of those clearly shows the spring.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Cane wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:03 am Take a look at those currently on the Bay. At least one of those clearly shows the spring.
Not the spring under the release cap they don't.

Regards

Martin

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Is it possible for you to post a picture Martin? Possibly the original has broken/been lost and something has been bodged?

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Liphook wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:24 am Is it possible for you to post a picture Martin? Possibly the original has broken/been lost and something has been bodged?
Screenshot_20210401-102745_Photos.jpg
Regards

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Think I've sussed it rhough i do have to move the release lever to make sure to engaged it with the spindle but its secure and releases ok for removing the spool.

What a faff. If the spindle housing was recessed like the grice and youngs it would be so much easier. Instead you have to assemble it into the release cap itself and then fit it to the spool. To do this i had to use a piece of paper to keep the spring, release lever and screw in position till i got the first screw safely in then slid the paper out once i had inserted another screw.
Screenshot_20210401-114538_Photos.jpg
The photo shows the rough position it needs to be in albeit in the release cap.

Regards

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Martin(rockape) on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin(rockape)
Ruffe

Martin(rockape) wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:58 am Think I've sussed it rhough i do have to move the release lever to make sure to engaged it with the spindle but its secure and releases ok for removing the spool.

What a faff. If the spindle housing was recessed like the grice and youngs it would be so much easier. Instead you have to assemble it into the release cap itself and then fit it to the spool. To do this i had to use a piece of paper to keep the spring, release lever and screw in position till i got the first screw safely in the slid the paper out once i had inserted another screw.

Screenshot_20210401-114538_Photos.jpg
The photo shows the rough position it needs to be in albeit in the release cap.

Regards

Martin
Edit : for those that read this before the edit please disregard, I'd just changed the line guard around and had grasped hold of that hence i couldn't remove the spool :laugh1:

I do have to move the release lever so it locks into the spindle but it doesn't move out on its own in otherwords its secure.
Obviously something still isn't quite right but its functional.

Regards

Martin

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

A bit of a thread resurrection here but I recently brought a Merlin that had been dropped. it is (was :Thumb: ) sporting a rather nasty dent to the rim and a bent foot but both have been sorted now-not perfect but very useable.
Being wary of bits flying out when I undid the 3 retaining screws for the boss, I gingerly lifted off the cap and found this below. Image
Not saying that what I have is correct but it works.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Mordex Reels”