Airfix Fishing Rod

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Airfix Fishing Rod

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Now I may have this totally wrong but in the late 1950's / early 1960s I recall being bought for me what I think was an Airfix Fishing Rod from Woolworths. It came complete in a bubble type pack featuring a two piece rod comprising solid metal rods to which were integrally bonded plastic rings and a plastic reel. The assembled kit may have been 5 feet long. Included was a plastic float and although I cannot recall I assume there were some line, hooks and shot.

For some reason I recall I ended up having two of these outfits - sadly both long since gone - but even more sadly I never caught a fish with one of these them and now I wonder is it all too late?

Does anyone else remember these rods - did anyone ever have one and if so did you catch and finally does anyone still have one? Thanks :Hat:

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Airfix Fishing Rod

Post by Luga00 »

Are you sure it wasn't Airex, Keith?
Russ
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/362602109738?chn=ps

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I remember those Woolworth fishing sets Keith, they looked pretty cheap and nasty even compared with the stuff I owned but I'd always gaze at them.

I do have an old 7' Milbro solid glass rod and an Intrepid Regent that I may use on the gudgeon trip this year. It was my standard set up for much of my informative years so it will be a nice dose of nostalgia.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Luga00 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:20 am Are you sure it wasn't Airex, Keith?
Russ
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/362602109738?chn=ps
No Russ I don't think so - the image on the E.bay site is not what I remember.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:47 am I remember those Woolworth fishing sets Keith, they looked pretty cheap and nasty even compared with the stuff I owned but I'd always gaze at them.

I do have an old 7' Milbro solid glass rod and an Intrepid Regent that I may use on the gudgeon trip this year. It was my standard set up for much of my informative years so it will be a nice dose of nostalgia.
I had the 7' Milbro too and a pre loved Intrepid Classic! I picked up a nice Classic several years ago and last year got the Milbro rod. I used these quite a bit last summer on the little boating pool where the originals caught me my first fish. Had some nice fish too , Tench and Rudd from the weedy margins which curiously on this little pool is where you find the depth (three foot!) back in the day as lads we were casting as far as we could paradoxically into shallower water. It mattered not as the pond was teeming with small Rudd.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Well done DB - although I did not think you would be old enough :Hahaha: - they were indeed horribly cheap and nasty and to me it is a box I did not tick. I still have my first two piece bamboo cane rod - well the butt was cane - the top is lancewood I think - but I broke a piece off the top - I have often thought about getting it restored. I used it with an appalling stove enamelled metal centre pin of around 3" diameter and managed a Roach of between 8oz - 12oz from the Grand Union Canal at Baker's Lane Near Lapworth - 2 bob for a day ticket circa 1963/4.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:06 am Well done DB - although I did not think you would be old enough :Hahaha: - they were indeed horribly cheap and nasty and to me it is a box I did not tick. I still have my first two piece bamboo cane rod - well the butt was cane - the top is lancewood I think - but I broke a piece off the top - I have often thought about getting it restored. I used it with an appalling stove enamelled metal centre pin of around 3" diameter and managed a Roach of between 8oz - 12oz from the Grand Union Canal at Baker's Lane Near Lapworth - 2 bob for a day ticket circa 1963/4.
Your rod and reel sounds very much like my first outfit, it came with a spool of line, a couple of porcupine quills and a tine of mixed shot. It may have had hooks but I was advised to buy some 14's and 10's at the local tackle shop - sold individually of course. The biggest fish I ever had on it was a dace... and lots of minnows. The reel was not very good for Wallis casting :roll:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I started with a handline purchased while on holiday by the sea - Broadstairs. Fished the Tidal Thames with it catching pope!

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi PH,
I have memories of such an item in my local “Woollies” when I was about ten years old.
It was much as you have described, I think the bubble pack was on white or yellow card and the plastic fitting were in black.
This was a couple of years before I had started fishing, but the kit looked hopeless even then.
I think it was priced about the £1 level and would have been a complete waste of pocket money.
There were a couple of “real” tackle shops nearby, and even a pet shop I passed on the way home from school had a half - dozen cheap “starter” rods in a corner of the window that would have put the kit to shame.
I think a couple were even in split cane!

Regards Tom.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Delaminated wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:15 am Hi PH,
I have memories of such an item in my local “Woollies” when I was about ten years old.
It was much as you have described, I think the bubble pack was on white or yellow card and the plastic fitting were in black.
This was a couple of years before I had started fishing, but the kit looked hopeless even then.
I think it was priced about the £1 level and would have been a complete waste of pocket money.
There were a couple of “real” tackle shops nearby, and even a pet shop I passed on the way home from school had a half - dozen cheap “starter” rods in a corner of the window that would have put the kit to shame.
I think a couple were even in split cane!

Regards Tom.
Tom your memories are as mine but I recall I actually ended up having two of these rods although I never caught anything with them. You are probably right that they were a complete waste of pocket money and that the rods were probably absolutely hopeless BUT if I could find one now I would be delighted to accept the challenge and see if I could manage a very small fish with one.

I also used to stand outside a local tackle shop looking longingly at the rows of rods on display in the window and with 6d pocket money per week for which I had to clean my fathers shoes to army standards 6 days a week they all seemed hopelessly out of reach. I made a list of the rods I dreamt of back then and 60 years later I have managed to acquire everyone of them and they all get regular bankside use.

Strange therefore that the totally hopeless and cheap fishing outfit that adorned the shelves in Woolworths provides the challenge it does.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”