Anglers Corner Roach.

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Fredline
Tench

Anglers Corner Roach.

Post by Fredline »

If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Anglers Corner Roach.

Post by Duckett »

Thanks John. Nice relaxing pre-bed viewing! Though, that wasn’t the Stret Pegging I was taught in the 1970s!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

In both videos the anglers do not trot with a free running reel. They have the rod and reel's handles on their right and pay out the line with the left hand. Occasionally sticking on the drum! Seems strange as is holding the rod under right arm and winding in with right hand. Very different to how we trot nowadays.

The videos were made in the late '50's or early '60's?

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Olly wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 am In both videos the anglers do not trot with a free running reel. They have the rod and reel's handles on their right and pay out the line with the left hand. Occasionally sticking on the drum! Seems strange as is holding the rod under right arm and winding in with right hand. Very different to how we trot nowadays.

That's how Fatty was taught to trot with a true 'pin. In fact most of the Old Guffs who know The Fat Mole do the same.

Modern ball race 'pins are too free flowing, putting tyro trotters off with the never ending tangles and over runs, who then go back to the fixed spool quicker than a rat up a drain pipe, leaving their new 'pin in its box, with it eventually ending up on a well known selling site along with countless others....such a shame.

If only they had been shown the true delights of fishing with a proper 'pin they would still be trotting the right way :Hat:

Plus the big bonus of trotting the correct way is one hand is free to hold a pie, to be liberally indulged in. Let's face it does it get any better than roach fishing whilst scoffing a pie at the same time.....well does it?

Fatty does not think life can get any better than the above! :Wink:

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Moley wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:12 am
Olly wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 am In both videos the anglers do not trot with a free running reel. They have the rod and reel's handles on their right and pay out the line with the left hand. Occasionally sticking on the drum! Seems strange as is holding the rod under right arm and winding in with right hand. Very different to how we trot nowadays.

That's how Fatty was taught to trot with a true 'pin. In fact most of the Old Guffs who know The Fat Mole do the same.

Modern ball race 'pins are too free flowing, putting tyro trotters off with the never ending tangles and over runs, who then go back to the fixed spool quicker than a rat up a drain pipe, leaving their new 'pin in its box, with it eventually ending up on a well known selling site along with countless others....such a shame.

If only they had been shown the true delights of fishing with a proper 'pin they would still be trotting the right way :Hat:

Plus the big bonus of trotting the correct way is one hand is free to hold a pie, to be liberally indulged in. Let's face it does it get any better than roach fishing whilst scoffing a pie at the same time.....well does it?

Fatty does not think life can get any better than the above! :Wink:

As ever,.......

Moley
I thought you fished the lead so you can have a pie in each hand :Chuckle:

Ally
Silver Bream

Post by Ally »

Very tatty fish at the start

Have to say Bernard Venables looks very clumsy when he fishes. Very awkward that switching hands and feeding line

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I agree - both videos show the same method of feeding the line rather than letting the line flow off the reel. Contrary to Moley, I learnt watching matchmen trotting the Tidal Thames where it goes one way quickly then stops dead - and the the opposite way quickly. My first centrepin, which I still have, was a Speedia narrow drum. Followed shortly afterwards by a Hardy Conquest which I found very awkward to trot with compared to the Speedia. Line came off the Speedia but needed assistance with the Conquest.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Duckett wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:10 pm Thanks John. Nice relaxing pre-bed viewing! Though, that wasn’t the Stret Pegging I was taught in the 1970s!

Phil
I agree with you regarding stret-pegging, I was taught to put the rod in a rest after casting and positioning the float downstream. Then lifting and letting the float run down a little then settle again? What B.V is doing seems to be doing is simply holding back fairly often. I respect that Moley prefers his own method, he has great success with it pies or no pies! :Hahaha:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I also brake the drum with index finger to hold if I’m trotting through a glide for Roach - I have had a good rate of success for Chub by placing in a rest albeit for a fair while longer then allowing a couple more yards to drum off and repeating. As an aside if I fish a boil this method can be a real winner - but I leave the shotting pattern to be float focussed with the offering being taken by the boil any which way.

I love watching and listening to Bernard - I always imagine myself in that room - decor wise it is not a million miles from how I remember things as a young boy. Watch Sleep Repeat.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

You must realise that BV was not a great angler and he is demonstrating methods he may not use very often. I was discussing BV with a very ancient yet distinguished angler just the other day and he debunks much of the Crabtree book as a man demonstrating methods he knows little about. Indeed, he advocated spinning the centre pin with your thumb, something virtually impossible to achieve. When questioned about that method by none other than Chris Yates, he revealed that 'he recalled seeing a man do it once' and had never tried it.

I don't want to slur the great man's reputation but, as the voice of angling, he could only know and do so much. However, his method of getting information across in simple cartoon form was undoubtedly very successful and touched all of us in some way.

Return to “Fishing Films”