Keepnets

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Keepnets

Post by Liphook »

I have a carp friendly keepnet. It only gets used when grading off fish from the growing on ponds. No waters should allow keepnet outside of well organised matches with a proper weigh and release procedure with enough hands on the pump to get the job done efficiently and quickly with the absolute minimum of stress to our quary. The worst culprits for poor handling are undoubtedly match anglers, particularly at the weigh-in. They need educating in many cases to understand that the fish should be gently encouraged to swim to the top of the keepnet whilst the net is still sumerged - it is far from OK to stuff fish into the weigh purse after roughly tumbling them down the entire length of a keepnet!

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

Many..many years ago i used a keepnet, i now look back and realise it was wrong and deeply regret using one. i actually found recently in my garage two ten foot keepnets that were packed away years ago in a plastic sack..these two nets were ammediately destroyed with a stanley knife

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I wonder what a survey on keepnets of TFF members would reveal? I suspect it may be 50:50 if truth be known. Not everyone wants to talk about it I imagine, and that’s OK too....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Don't own one now, used to use one for Sunday club matches from about 1980 to 1986 used to stink my dads car out going home.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I haven't used one for decades. There is a chap who fishes upstream of one of my stretches who insists on putting 'our' glorious roach into a keepnet and at the end of the day I've seen him pull it out and the fish are red, fins are split and scales coming off. Saddens me deeply; as does watching Bob James with the red raw roach with split fins in that incredible APFA catch from the Avon.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Not used one for donkeys years. I do have a small knotted one from the 50s i would estimate it's just he job for keeping the onions in.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

I had one in the 1970's for club matches, and for the very occasional specimen catch that needed to be witnessed (when I was young and impressionable). Haven't used or owned one since. I prefer to place the fish (while in landing net) onto my unhooking mat, pop out the hook, weigh the fish (if its a good un) while still in the landing net, then slip the landing net back in the water and ease the fish out when its ready.

G. B.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

For a bit of balance in the debate, I have a keepnet and still use it. Mainly for keeping livebait in, but also when trotting when the roach are finniky. And for bream fishing, not that I catch many! And regardless of what folk say, it does help one catch more when the fish are moody. When they're really on the feed then I don't bother with it.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Since I stopped match fishing 2 years ago, my nets are in the loft... tucked up in a stink bag with mega side trays spare legs and pole rollers... I will probably sell them off at this years club tackle auction (covid permitting)
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I rarely need anything more than a jam jar. :Chuckle:

Can’t believe the number of minnows I have caught since I came North!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”