Leather boot rewaterproofing stuff?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Leather boot rewaterproofing stuff?

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Im rather keen on meindl walking boots. A pair of mine are leaking slightly. They're not the cheapest boots so if like to try and treat them before they get any worse. Any recommendations for good stuff chaps?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Leather boot rewaterproofing stuff?

Post by AshbyCut »

Dubbin ... that's the stuff. I still remember the smell of it as I rubbed it into rugby boots ... in the days when replacement studs were bought with nails in them ... and they were hammered into the soles. A google search will provide many links.

((I just had a Proust moment ... as he did with the smell of Madeleines in "A la recherche du temps perdu" ... where the scent of those baked delectable morsels carried him back in time to his childhood !!! Thank you, MD !!!))
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Are they leather? If not check out "diver dave" repairer of waders and supplier of waterproofing spray that keep the north sea out if needed
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Another vote for dubbin from me. I have some old army combat boots. Clean and treat with dubbin. Let it soak for a bit and buff off. No leaks, nice dry and warm feet.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I am a bit OTT with my footwear, must be a hangover from being in the forces, and always wear boots...

Another vote for Dubbin, I have a pair of leather steel toecap work boots that I bought over 30 years ago, they have been used quite regularly, and are quite worn on the soles,but the leather is still supple and although very battle scarred still waterproof .
I used to Dubbin the boots on a regular basis, but have not worn them for a couple of years, they were cleaned, bagged up,and still good to go if needed.

If you love your boots, and they need reproofing or repair I can very highly recommend this place, they repair and “service” boots for Alpine climbers etc, not the cheapest, but the best I know of.

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/viewc ... d=14457072

I have a pair of Berghouse 3 season Gortex/ Leather walking boots that were very good on the uppers but shot in the soles, had them repaired there, they came back like new, resoled and reproofed, I have walked through puddles, snow, mud everything in them, without a hitch, likewise I also have a pair of all leather Brashers, same story, same repairs.

Dave
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Rendered horse grease or goose grease.Both need to be applied warm. Otherwise Neatsfooil Oil or Saddle Soap.Over time Dubbin rots stitching.If all fails buy some waterproof socks made by Sealakins.All so called waterproof boots ,over time start to leak.
Mark Davies

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I used to wear boots for a living - Altberg so they weren't cheap, but over time they would let water in. Daily applications of boot polish didn't do the trick even when well rubbed in, but saddle soap was much longer lasting. If the boots have a split in the seams or Gortex sock though it might take a new pair of boots to sort it

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 pm Im rather keen on meindl walking boots. A pair of mine are leaking slightly. They're not the cheapest boots so if like to try and treat them before they get any worse. Any recommendations for good stuff chaps?
I too like Meindl but mine are rather old and beaten after years of use and abuse.

When I purchased mine about 25 years ago it was stated that the correct proofer to us was Nik Wax but I cant say I was overly impressed with it and reverted to dubbin.
The trouble I have with mine is that the material that is sandwiched between the sole and the upper, a kind of shock absorbing rubber, is disintegrating and I have had to fill holes with the hot glue gun! One of the missing chunks can be seen in the photo.
Councidentaly, my German army mountain boots are going in exactly the same area and will need the full sole-off surgery soon.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very useful link thanks OMR :Hat:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Liphook wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:21 pm Very useful link thanks OMR :Hat:
You are welcome, the company do repairs via mail order as well as personal delivery, as it is only about 25 mins there I took mine myself, the boot repair and refurbishment dept was very busy, with a whole roomful of finished boots awaiting collection or delivery .

Speaks or itself I think.

:Hat:

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”