Old Pike Gazette Bungs.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Old Pike Gazette Bungs.

Post by Mr B »

I picked up some second hand Pike Bungs and thought I would convert most of them to sliding ones.
After listening to a nice recording ( recommended on TFF) of Dick Walker and Fred J Taylor Pike fishing.
Dick Walker was saying how he prefers a sliding float over the old fixed ones for a couple of reasons.
Direct contact straight to the hook and easy casting.
What I could make of it was they were using a double float of some kind.
Two of the floats/ Bungs (Gazzettes?) I have replaced the sliding dowels with a plastic tubing ( used for sea fishing booms) the other with Bamboo cane ( but I can for see problems when the inside gets wet and swells and could crack?) the others I’m leaving as they are .. Just thought I would give them a go.
Some of you might think it’s an abomination to tamper with a tried and tested design, while others might have done it and found them better?
Anyway thought you might like to see them , hardly a thing of beauty I know but looking forward to trying them.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: Old Pike Gazette Bungs.

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Whether to adapt or change classic tackle is always a personal thing that only you can justify. But, in this instance you don't have to. Get some stiff rig tubing and cut two lengths equal to the length of the float's pegs that protrude beyond the float. Thread your line through the tubes and then secure the tubes to the peg top and bottom using float rubbers so that your line runs down the slot in the float. That should give you a slider without permanently changing the floats.

I use a similar method on smaller floats for general coarse fishing using tiny swivels attached to the float's stem or body using float rubbers.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:47 pm Whether to adapt or change classic tackle is always a personal thing that only you can justify. But, in this instance you don't have to. Get some stiff rig tubing and cut two lengths equal to the length of the float's pegs that protrude beyond the float. Thread your line through the tubes and then secure the tubes to the peg top and bottom using float rubbers so that your line runs down the slot in the float. That should give you a slider without permanently changing the floats.

I use a similar method on smaller floats for general coarse fishing using tiny swivels attached to the float's stem or body using float rubbers.
I like that idea!
I was thinking of different ways but didn’t come up with that one.
Thanks for that I’m going to give that a go.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Just one thing.... why two lengths? Can’t get my head round that? I’m probably missing something.
I can see cutting it the same size as the peg and attaching it to it with float rubber’s and passing your line through it
And stop it with a stopper knot etc..

Mr B

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Is the double float you refer to perhaps the dumbell float as in old fashioned cartoon strongman o--o shaped?

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Like this one!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Exactly Bob :Hat: though none of mine were remotely as nice as that example!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

No, but that’s very nice... a favourite of Dick Walker, listening to a record a few weeks ago Pike fishing with Fred J Taylor.
But... great floats, I’m going to looking into them.

Thanks

Mr B

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Mr B wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:02 pm Just one thing.... why two lengths? Can’t get my head round that? I’m probably missing something.
I can see cutting it the same size as the peg and attaching it to it with float rubber’s and passing your line through it
And stop it with a stopper knot etc..

Mr B
You might not be able to fit the tube in the slot of the float. If you can, then use one full length piece, but looking at your floats the slot doesn't look wide enough. The line will certainly fit through.

I advise using top and bottom attachment whichever method you use. If you attached bottom only you could lose the float on the cast or during the fight. .

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for that....
Be interesting to try the different ways you have said...
Like you, I don’t really like changing things but sometimes things can be improved.

Mr B

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”