Trotting dead baits

This forum is for discussing pike.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Trotting dead baits

Post by MaggotDrowner »

You've all inspired me to give this a go! :)
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

When shopping lately in the local supermarkets Ive been on the look out for some sprats or sardines to use for trotting on the Don for pike. Unfortunately they dont seem to be stocking them this year so tried the continental supermarket's fresh fish counter at the weekend but they only had larger whole fish.
The mackerel they had for sale were larger than the last pike that I caught....

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Frozen deads widley available from tackle shops , I always have a pack in the freezer alongside some fresh caught frozen mackies .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

SkimmingTheCream wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:24 pm When shopping lately in the local supermarkets Ive been on the look out for some sprats or sardines to use for trotting on the Don for pike. Unfortunately they dont seem to be stocking them this year so tried the continental supermarket's fresh fish counter at the weekend but they only had larger whole fish.
The mackerel they had for sale were larger than the last pike that I caught....
Large mackerel can be cut into sections or fillets, they will still be taken. Frozen fish are available as bait and pet foods, the delivery is a consideration but if you want to stock the freezer .....

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have - now I need to get out and use them.

For some species you have to order early! Lamprey, large smelt, eels, - they sell like hotcakes!

Have a look at Online baits or Baits-R-us.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Im currently sat at home nursing a dodgy back so the last thing I would be capable of at the moment would be pulling in a large pike..I couldnt even manage one of the size I last caught
As others members have kindly suggested I will look in the local tackle shops or on line when I am more able.
Funny that although I often used fish strips when sea fishing on holiday as a youngster I have never tried them course fishing.
Trevor

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”