Two piece net pole, to cut or not to cut ? That was the question.

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Old Man River
Eel

Two piece net pole, to cut or not to cut ? That was the question.

Post by Old Man River »

Quite some time ago I had a bit of good fortune in obtaining not one, but two bamboo slim landing net poles with original fittings, both about 6 ft long, and in pretty tatty condition, over this year I stripped them down, cleaned them up gave each a bit of whipping and yacht varnish and they turned out not bad, one has since gone to a forum member, the second I decided to keep for myself. I intended using it with one of my small net heads.The pole must be probably 50 years old , and had a bit of a kink in its length, that would bother some people but I find it sort of quirky and tells of its past history and use, so I was quite happy with it in that state.

Last year, I also had another bit of good fortune in finding a knotless landing net head tangled in a rack of flood debris on one of the rivers I fish, there was no pole , the frame was shot but the net itself was fine, once I had removed all the bits of twigs, grass, mud etc I could see it was in very good condition, it was put in a drawer , then later fitted to one of the small net heads, it was a good combination with the above pole.

As I have quite a few net poles I decided it would be a nice addition to have a two piece pole, with the help of forum member Eddy Pools, I managed to find a suitable large banded ferrule , unused. I decided that the above pole would be a good donor as a two piece . It had already been rebuilt, and I must admit when I finally made the decision, it was with a bit of trepidation after some careful measuring that I took a saw to it and cut it in half.It seemed to me a bit barbaric cutting a net pole that had been around for so many years in half , but I consoled myself thinking that it would be quite useful in two sections, and along with a three piece rod , and a couple of rod rests quite easy to transport and carry to some of those swims that are more than a short stroll away.

I have recently had problems with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my hands, my right hand being by far the worst ( I am right handed) so any work I am doing must be done in small “doses” so as to not aggravate the problems, things that used to take me a couple of hours now take a couple of days , anyway, slowly I managed to fit the ferrule, do the whipping , and giving the whippings quite a few coats of Yacht Varnish. The result is below.

ImageImageImageImage

The knotless net was fine on the small net frame, but it occurred to me that it may with a bit of persuasion fit one of my medium net frames, as I have a spare medium size frame I managed to get it to fit with a bit of help from "Thora", who I must admit does put up with rather a lot from me sometimes , it is now what you could probably describe as a large pan net,and the only bit of vintage tackle that I have with a modern mesh,that is not diamond pattern .

After a few weeks of the occasional swear word, I am now happy with the results.

Thanks for looking .. :Hat:

David ( OMR)
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Two piece net pole, to cut or not to cut ? That was the question.

Post by Pallenpool »

Well David, that is surely a fine looking pole and net combo - I cannot recall off hand how many times I have discussed a two part handle with you - but to actually now see it I am over the moon for you - especially as it could well be in order to now order one from the Craine Towers workshop. Super job indeed!
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hello Peter,and thank you :Hat:

I am “fresh out “of poles and ferrules , I shall make some enquiries, although it could be some time before I get across to the bamboo suppliers.I will need a pole before I know what size ferrule to seek out !

David

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I saw your post and thought my feeling was to dissuade you from cutting the pole. Wrong!

What a lovely job, very much in keeping with the era

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

A lovely looking pole and net, David! :Thumb:

I note that you have not followed my example by doing alternate whippings in different colours, perhaps burgundy and orange might have looked nice together.
Each to their own! :Chuckle:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Very nice!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That looks great David.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Thank you for the nice words gentlemen . :Hat:
I will be continuing to make net frames , poles , sticks etc , but on a “slower. “ scale which will probably be no bad thing really .
Looking forward to the next Vintage tackle fair , not sure where or when it will be but there is a light at the end of the tunnell I think.

Hopefully will see you there !

OMR ( David )

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

very nicely done sir... that looks lovely :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Fabulous bit of work and looks a very practical length too.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”