Introducing the Walgeeco Rod Pod

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Introducing the Walgeeco Rod Pod

Post by Duckett »

A few weeks ago on a thread about the Efgeeco Rod Pod, I mentioned that I had always liked the look of them and could think of a few waters with steep banks, or platforms with steps, where I would find a rod rest based on a single horizontal and adjustable spiked pole useful. However, I had always found that the Efgeeco ones went for more than I was willing to spend. What I didn’t add was that, although I love my Efgeeco landing nets, I had some Efgeeco rod rests and tripods as a teenager and that all of them rusted through from the inside out!

Wallys Cast happened to mention that he thought he could build one fairly easily. I immediately flipped into what I call my “cheeky sod” mode and asked him if he would be willing to have a go for me. Just over 2 weeks later, the Walgeeco Rod Pod arrived. I’m a huge fan of what they like to call up-cycling these days but I think what Wal made for me is a work of art. I haven’t had a chance to use the rest yet but I’m convinced it’s going to be perfect. I should add that there is a hole drilled in the spiked end to allow for a tent peg to secure it if required. Thanks Wal!

For scale, the photographs below show the rest with the 8 foot combination of my Milwards Services travel rod (restored by Wal) and a Milwards Floatcraft.
Last edited by Duckett on Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Introducing the Walgeeco Rod Pod

Post by Duebel »

Oh, I love that! Well done the both of you!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Jeeez! He’s a bit special that Dr Cane..... :Hat: :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Great job indeed - well done both.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

A very useful looking bit of kit for those wooden or concrete pegs :Thumb:

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Is that a spike I see at the bottom? So it can be used upright for river fishing? Useful bit of gear that looks solid without weighing a ton. Well played that man.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Willsmodger wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:04 pm Is that a spike I see at the bottom? So it can be used upright for river fishing? Useful bit of gear that looks solid without weighing a ton. Well played that man.
Yes, the idea, as with the Efgeeco original, is that you can push it in the bank behind you. Wal added a drilled hole just in front of the spike so the it can also be anchored with a tent peg.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Great work! :Hat:

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

That looks great nice and compact very similar to mine. :Thumb:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

That is very nice too. :Hat:

About three years ago I had the idea of converting a Benbo Trekker photographic tripod to use as a rod pod. The banks of the local rivers that I fish are often overgrown with brambles and with undercut banks, other places are on soft ground and trying to place rod rests can be problematic. The Benbo is unlike conventional tripods and are used by landscape and wildlife photographers as you can position a camera 1mm to 1200mm from the ground no matter what the incline is- mountain slopes, steps, no problem. I got a friend to make the necessary adapters on his lathe and he made a good job of it. I can fit a single rod rest fore and aft or attach two buzzer bars.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”