Vintage Thames Angling Hotels

This forum belongs to the River Thames.
Cane
Grayling

Re: Vintage Thames Angling Hotels

Post by Cane »

Mine too. First book my wife bought me.
We saw Rodney Bewes do a one man show, in which he not only recited the book verbatim, but also brought along his own boat which was the same model as in the book. I actually bought Salters book after seeing him. Wonderful.
Last edited by Cane on Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I interviewed Wallis's granddaughter in 1986 and she told me about him and the book.
I am now finalising the follow up on Men of Trent and went through my notes again. I have bought the book and intend to read it as the leave fall.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Not an Hotel but Saturday my partner and I were walking the towpath at Walton on Thames when we passed " The Anglers" public house bankside of the Thames. Totally unknown to me and now a must to return for free thames -side fishing and a pint afterwards, probably now next season.Google it Three men in a boat or what! Tony

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Cane wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:58 pm Mine too. First book my wife bought me.
We saw Rodney Bewes do a one man show, in which he not only recited the book verbatim, but also brought along his own boat which was the same model as in the book. I actually bought Salters book after seeing him. Wonderful.
In my previous life, I used to sell fabric to Daphne Black (Rodney Bewes wife) during the swinging sixties! She was a buyer/designer for Biba, a famous (at the time) fashion house. I didn't realise at the time that she was married, it was strictly a business arrangement, but she was lovely! :Ok:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Rodney Bewes seemed to be a very modest man and a gentleman. After the recital, he came to the bar and chatted with anyone who was interested in him, or the boat.
I saw him in a play in Brighton in the ‘80’s. It was a farce, but there was one moment when he completely forgot his lines. Not surprisingly, as the leading lady’s costume fell down, accidentally revealing more than any of us expected. The look on Rodney’s face was priceless!
Although I won’t name the actress, I’d have to say that she carried on regardless until there was a chance to cover her modesty. She earned extra applause, at the end for that. :Hat:
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Troydog wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:51 pm Thank you Cane. It remains an ambition of mine to stay in a Thames hotel, somewhere on the Three Men in a Boat route, and fish the river. Nothing serious you understand, but just to have done it would be fun....
In which case you might find the two pictures below useful:ImageImage
And I can recommend the maze at Hampton Court! :Chuckle:
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Last edited by Bobthefloat on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you Cane. Apologies for delay in replying. We’ve been in wales for a few days - no signal !!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Troydog wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:24 pm Thank you Cane. Apologies for delay in replying. We’ve been in wales for a few days - no signal !!
My pleasure.
Just an afterthought: should you find yourself exiting the maze, whilst pondering your waiting lunch, be sure to walk upright! Small boys have been known to wait in ambush for the unwary novice, at the revolving gate. Said gate works on a ratchet system and the little tikes wait for chaps who lead with their nose and trap their necks between gate and fence. Raucous laughter receding into the distance is often the first suggestion you may have that you will shortly be the subject of much ridicule and abuse from the mob gathering invisibly behind your back. Your only hope is in croaking as loudly as you are able, for assistance from a passing gardener, or other kindly sort.
You may take some comfort in that George would have the greatest sympathy for your situation. Montmorency’s thoughts on the subject are however, unknowable!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “River Thames”