Steak as bait

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
ExeAngler
Chub

Steak as bait

Post by ExeAngler »

Morning Chaps,

I have been thinking about what type of fishing I want to do for the rest of the season and fancy having a go for the Chub in the local rivers. looking at baits had me thinking I may try something a tad different. Maybe something that does not get used much around my part of the land. I was thinking of Steak. Has anyone used the bait and had much success? Interested in tactics, tackle and results.

Thanks

Exe Angler.

Kev D
Chub

Re: Steak as bait

Post by Kev D »

ExeAngler wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:12 am Morning Chaps,

I have been thinking about what type of fishing I want to do for the rest of the season and fancy having a go for the Chub in the local rivers. looking at baits had me thinking I may try something a tad different. Maybe something that does not get used much around my part of the land. I was thinking of Steak. Has anyone used the bait and had much success? Interested in tactics, tackle and results.

Thanks

Exe Angler.
The thing to do is try it out on a day when the fish are biting well at conventional baits . If it works you will have confidence in using it in the future.

Meat in various forms has proven form dating back centuries .
The convenience of sausage, Spam and other pre packed meats is probably the main reason the real thing gets neglected .

I've never used steak but reguarly use chunks of rabbit meat and "lights" have a certain very useful quality !
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Not used it myself but I know that it can be extremely effective. Mince and some bran in the feeder, strips of steak on the hook. Being a bit tight, I tend to go down the paste route to target chub as you can tweak it's flavour, texture, colour shap and size very easily. It really does give you a limitless selection.

My latest concoction was a mixture of equal parts fine soya flour, fine semolina and ground dog biscuits (they all work as do cat biscuits). I added some flavour - crustacian - and a drop of fish oil, coloured it green and mixed with two eggs, rolled into sausages and boiled for two minutes. The rest was mixed with water. The water based paste is fine for waters where there aren't hoards of small fish but the sausages are minnow proof and sections can be broken off to suit and side hooked or hair rigged.

Sorry this is going off subject but it's another you will be fishing with unique baits that the chub will love.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Minced liver with small pieces on the hook also works
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

I used to fish steak and mince in a feeder on the Trent for chub in the winter - more blood the better

Bsc
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I use a cheap soaked stewing steak/beef in strip chunks on the hook and cheap minced steak/beef with ground bait thoroughly mixed in, so it's freely released from the cage feeder....

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd rather have mine with chips!
Last edited by Santiago on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Lovely rump steak, seasoned and cooked in garlic butter, chunky chips, seasoned roast tomatoes, mushrooms cooked with Stilton and some onion rings..... the fish will hate it but at a push I’d eat it!.... :Wink: :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

A bit expensive for me. That said, and somewhat contradictory to that, I have used prawns and king prawns with good results. Just as expensive. I'm sure I have seen a video on YouTube fishing for chub with steak.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Buy the cheap 'going out of date' steak when you see it - take home & freeze. You always have some to use then.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”