Slugs....

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Slugs....

Post by Olly »

Yes - an eccentric - but a nice gent! Fished with him on a few occasions on the Avon with pub/dinner afterwards. Charity matches matches.

Dapping with slugs! Now that's a novel idea!

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

As ever,..........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

As an asides A little while ago I was fishing a farm pond for carp and Tench, using spam for bait. As the sun was going down I reached down to pick another lump up to put on the hook but discovered a 2” black slug had slid his way in, bad move! Having caught many chub on them in the past I wondered.... I nicked him on the hook and swung him out under the float, 3 minutes later I landed a nice portly a Tench of a couple of pounds or so, slugs are worth trying for most species I would’ve thought.

Regards,

Dipper :Hat:
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

If one has the inclination to sign up for channel 4 online, you can watch the old "Screaming Reels Series" - the Nick Fisher series from the late 90's.
Episode 8 series 2, features the Chub Study, including Charlie and his slugs, amongst others
Cracking bait, I much prefer the big black ones, nothing beats the plop and take.
Not a tong chap, more el natural....

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

It was Charles that inspired me to try slugs when I was a Chub Study Group member, back in the day. The first time I used them I took a bucket of slugs to Dick Walker's stretch of the upper Ouse and in two casts I had two chub over 5 pounds! I have also had some decent perch on them too. I used to mount then on a number 4 hook through their backside, as I found they could be cast much more accurately into all those nooks and crannies.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Well I arrived on the Ribble just as the dark was fading and dropped my stuff on the peg I was going to spend the day fishing into. I immediately set up my Chapman 500 paired with a ambidex carrying 8lb line, a size 4 hook and a nice big very slimy brown slug. I had a couple of casts and then moved 20 yards up river to OMRs peg from a few weeks ago. The slugs carry enough weight to get a fair way across the river without any added lead, so I just let the slug find its own way in the current swinging back to my bank. Third cast I only pushed the slug out to the fast/slow water crease and just as it came towards my bank, the most aggressive bite I have ever experienced nearly ripped the rod from my grasp. The 500 was nearly doubled over and I was just thinking this fish will blow away my 5lb 8oz chub pb, when it somehow buggered off never to be seen again. It was on for maybe 20 seconds which was enough to tell me it was a chub and not a barbel.
I had a few more attempts throughout the day but nothing else came to a slug, but I will be back soon armed with the biggest slugs I can find
I landed a 4 pounder later in the day but that was on a tutti frutti boilie, bit of a anti climax I think.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

The tutti frutti chub.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Great report Paul....

But miffed that you did not manage to convert the bite into a fish, but no matter, you have proved that the Ribble fish will take a slug.

Only problem is I still hate the slimy beggars .!

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Let me know when you next go David and I will come and load your hook for you.

Thanks
BB

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:52 pm Let me know when you next go David and I will come and load your hook for you.

Thanks
BB
:Hat:

Maybe you could have put that another way Paul, but I know what you mean :Thumb:

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”