Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
Dano41
Stickleback

Speedia

Post by Dano41 »

Hi,this is my first post on here so hello to you all.As well as being a life time fisherman another hobby is machine work lathe ,milling machine and so on.I have a small collection of reels and enjoy working on them.I'm researching making a centrepin or fly reel but it would be a bit of a stretch of my skills.Are there many on here who have made reels?I bought a battered speedia on the auction site but the housing for the grub screw is missing the three screw plate is still there.Is the housing for the grub screw pressed in and what is it and the grub screw made of?Would anymone have a pic or drawing of the three screw plate with the grub screw housing still in?Andy

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Speedia

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Dano and welcome to the forum. I am sure your machining skills will come in very handy on this forum.

The Speedia centre hub with end float grub screw is simply pressed into the three screw housing and can easily be removed and replaced.

Here are a few pictures of the reel showing the hub in place and others showing the hub being removed by pressing it out with a suitably sized drift, using a vice. It can of course simply be knocked out using the same drift etc.
ImageImageImageImage

Hope this is of some help.
Wal.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

I’ve looked at the note in question,as I understand you need a drawing of the centre hub so you can make a replacement ,if I had a speedia reel I would be willing to help you by measuring the items.thank you Reelmaker.(Terry)

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Welcome to the TFF
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Whipping eyes on can be hard enough - but reel-making - way way beyond me - floats - I can just about manage! Welcome!

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Thank you all for kind welcome and help.Olly making the reel will be a slow process and a lot of learning for me.

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Wal what metal is the hub and grub screw made of would you have any way of measuring the hight of the hub?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dano41 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:20 pm Wal what metal is the hub and grub screw made of would you have any way of measuring the hight of the hub?
Yes Dano, I'll take one out tomorrow and measure it up for you..
The metal hub is either nickel or nickel plated brass. The grub screw is steel and is a 6ba thread but I generally make new ones from brass.
If you are making one from scratch, you could use any small and fine thread such as 2mm.

Wal.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning friends,I would think the item in question is plated brass or steel as is the centre Screw , l would doubt if it is nickel or stainless steel. Reelmaker.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Just another thought I would willing make any item you would need if I had the machinery free of charge,these parts are quite simple to make if you have a micrometer to take the measurements.Reelmaker

Return to “Speedia Reels”