Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Speedia

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Sizes as promised.
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves as far as the sizes go.
ImageImage
The taper on the inside is a match for the taper on the spindle. The thread for the grub screw only goes half way down the bore of the hub, the lower half is bored smooth and just large enough diameter bore to accept the tip of the spindle without binding.

The hub fits inside approx 7mm, dont go too much further in or it will bind on the spool release catch.
The grub screw is just under 5mm long and is threaded 6BA. The hub itself is made from what appears to be nickel silver (not plated as previously thought) and the grub screw is steel.

Don't forget to show us the results and if I were you I would make a few as you are sure to get a few requests. :Thumb:

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There could be a queue - a very useful spare part! Or two - those grub screws!

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Thank you for the kind offer reel maker.Wal it would be great to get the measurement.Have any of you made a complete reel?Did you ever try the ball bearing on top of the spindle and bottom of the grub screw?Do you think it would really be oo benifit?

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Wal thank you very much for measurements.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dano41 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:11 pm Thank you for the kind offer reel maker.Wal it would be great to get the measurement.Have any of you made a complete reel?Did you ever try the ball bearing on top of the spindle and bottom of the grub screw?Do you think it would really be oo benifit?
I remember my son fitting his Allcock Match Aerial with a ball bearing set in the top of the spindle, this was about 20 years ago when spin time was thought to be everything. To be honest I dont think it made that much difference to it.

The idea didn't come up again until a few years later when I was trying to improved a pair of Grice And Young Avon Royal Supreme reels. This time a ball was also set in the grub screw as well as the spindle tip. These reels run on a fairly large diameter spindles and much larger diameter grub screws so it was a lot easier to drill and set the ball in place. The ball bearings certainly helped in this case.

Some of the later J W Youngs fly reels have a ball mounted in the spindle which is floating on an internal spring. It makes a for a very smooth operation and it does away with the need for a grub screw. I have often thought about this being employed in a centrepin reel.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Welcome Dano41.

Our own Watermole+ has been putting captive ball bearings in the tip of the shaft on his latest centrepins.

Dano41, you asked if anyone else here makes centrepin reels, have a look at any posts by Watermole+ on here or you could look at some of his work on my blog, reproduced there with kind permission of the maker and the various tackle owners:

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2014 ... gineering/

And my own reel by him here:

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2014 ... watermole/

Here is more of the TFF Aerial, only the second reel he made, I believe. He asked this forum what it should have and they set him quite a challenge!

https://nobbystackle.wordpress.com/2014 ... turned-up/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Here is an engineering drawing taken from the Creel magazine in 1964. It is the Lloyd Gladstone Gough centrepin. I have always thought I would make myself one of these one day but have never got round to buying a metal lathe and at my age now I probably never will.
I have a couple of wood turning lathes which will do most things I need but without a cross slide tool holder, it's very difficult to get a clean and accurate cut in metal.

Wal.

A good project for a first reel. (Note the ball bearing in the grub screw).
ImageImage

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Thanks Nobby.Those reels really are a work of art the mahoganay and tufnil is a really lovely job.Wal great to get that drawing it will be very usefull.

Dano41
Stickleback

Post by Dano41 »

Just to say the reel that I bid on still hasn't arrived yet so some of the questions I'm asking you may be thinking why don't you look at the reel. I'm going to make the grubscrew out of brass and the hub is there any reason why this wouldn't be better in stainless only asking cause I don't have any nickle silver.Or maybe make it in brass ?

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning ,brass would be ideal for the hub and screw ,stainless steel is very tough to machine and thread for the screw,so I would not think the makers would use it. Reelmaker

Return to “Speedia Reels”