Help identifying Malloch sidecaster multiplier

The Other Reels forum.
The VFC
Brown Trout

Help identifying Malloch sidecaster multiplier

Post by The VFC »

Hi all - I'm going to admit up front that I'm no expert on the sidecaster of P. D Malloch, generally snoozing when they go under the hammer, but I have acquired a couple recently. One has got me stumped - its a little multiplier, 2 1/4" diameter to the spool, that I simply can't track down. I've been through every catalogue I posess, looked in all my reference books and searched the web to no avail - the only multiplying sidecasters that I can find are the Erskine type. Can anyone shed any light on the reel or point me in the direction of someone who might? I don't suppose anyone's sitting on a pile of Malloch catalogues are they?

Thanks
Jim
Malloch multi 1.jpg
Malloch multi 2.jpg
Malloch multi 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Churchill
Bleak

Re: Help identifying Malloch sidecaster multiplier

Post by Churchill »

The VFC wrote:I don't suppose anyone's sitting on a pile of Malloch catalogues are they?

Thanks
Jim
Jim, sat on my desk are Mallochs 1914 and 1915 catalogues.

I can't scan at the moment . . but briefly - no multiplier listed.
Sizes 2 1/2" to 4 3/4" (5 sizes) in "gun metal" or aluminium.
The 4 larger sizes with optional "Reversible drum", and "Reversible drum and Optional check"

I'll ask around about multipliers

What ratio is that reel? I'd love to strip it down, or see the workings

Brian

Edit/Afterthought - is it Mallochs Sun & Moon mechanism in there? And if not, I wonder why?

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Hi Brian - many thanks for your thoughts: I'd never come across one like this (the only multipliers by Malloch's I was aware of were the Erskine's). I'll photograph the innards and post in a bit.

Jim

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

No joy opening her up unfortunately - although the side plate screws came off easily enough the multiplier covering itself just wouldn't budge and, since its mechanically sound, I didn't want to get too rough with it and prise off the cover.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Hi Jim, Its not like any I have seen before but I have found a patent for Malloch Feb 10th 1917 for what looks like a multiplying sidecaster.It says
"A change gear mechanism comprises an axially-moveable pin carrying the crank handle and gear wheels of different size adapted to be bought into engagement respectively with wheels on a shaft of the drum. A spring means being provided for locking the pin in its different position. This means may compromise a spring actuated bolt adapted to engage with either of the two circumferential groves in the pin." I have a diagram but not sure if you can upload pictures as this is my first time using the site.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Have a look at this thread Harry, it should help you with uploading pictures.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... f=84&t=838

Welcome to the forum by the way. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Thanks Harry - brilliant stuff! I hadn't thought about looking for a patent. I wonder if that description refers to the Erskine type multiplier or the one have got my sticky mitts on?
Jim

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Image Hi Jim
will try to up load pics,hopefully you can see the detail
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Mmmm! Difficult to tell from that - but I think that may be the Erskine multiplier that had the gearing all inside a single housing.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Just browsing the auction site Mullocks when I thought "I recognise that reel" which was coming up for sale. Have a look at Lot 305, this is the one that the patent was for that I posted; it reads:- " Rare early Malloch Multimode geared and single action alloy side casting reel 3.5” diameter slim backplate with external gear housing optional ratchet check sprung foot release system alloy non reversible drum fitted with brass crossbar and sliding back handle to allow single action winding fine throughout." I wonder if it is the same one. Did you mention a finders fee!!
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Other Reels”