Gudgeon

This forum belongs to the River Roding.
Andyac
Ruffe

Gudgeon

Post by Andyac »

Hi All
It's my second season at the High Ongar part of the Roding and including minnow i have caught 7 species so far. My question is when was your last Roding Gudgeon, I have not caught one for ages . They seem so scarce. At Shonks Mill Road the big tree at the end of the BDAC car park had a hole about 4 ft in low levels and you could always catch Gudgeon there about 4 years ago.

Andyac
Ruffe

Re: Gudgeon

Post by Andyac »

Forgot to add the Roding Gudgeon held the Rod caught record years ago at just under 4 ozs

Marks7
Bleak

Post by Marks7 »

Not had a Gudgeon anywhere, including the Roding for a long time.
I do however remember fishing a stretch of the Roding as a kid (can’t remember exactly where) and the river bed was paved with them. Shame to see such a decline.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Last Wednesday on a swing tip at a small lake at Mountnessing. I had 3.
ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I was watching swarms of them in the Suffolk Stour a couple of weeks ago! I think they are a very cyclical fish in terms of population.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Andyac
Ruffe

Post by Andyac »

Great to see a swing tip, very rare these days. Do leger/Avon rods come with a female thread anymore? I dont really want find out what lives in the High Ongar stretch without catching them. Rudd on the opening day was a surprise. I dont target anything but would like to add as many different species as possible. Its wrong to wish ones life away however I need to get back to the Roding and catch a Eel or Gudgeon. Money poor ,Time poor

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have been reading the post on TFF about Gudgeon over the last couple of months... they never did interest me but now I'm starting to think I a missing something!
We used to fish at Yalding on the Medway when I was a boy and we called it Gudgeon Creek, hundreds of em! Drove us mad!
I haven't fished at Yalding for well over 40 years but I'm now wondering if there still there? Mmmm?

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “River Roding”