2nd attempt landing net handle

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Gsmn1
Gudgeon

2nd attempt landing net handle

Post by Gsmn1 »

Sharing my lockdown projects with you...

This is a second attempt at a landing net handle. This time a 2 piece 6'6" version. I found a really old and battered rod on Fleabay. removed the rings and any excess metal ware. inserted a 3/8"boss with an allen bolt to secure. Whipped in chestnut and copper with thickish copper intermediates. Varnish and gunstock wax. Ive not polished out the steel work to leave something of a vintage patina.

First attempt was a piece of 6' single piece of bamboo cut from my garden. A butchered bankstick became my 3/8" female fitting, alloy tubing, brass olives and a new butt pad. My first whipping in Grey and silver. Despite boring out the nodal seals and attempting a straightening exercise when flaming, not as straight as it could be!

:Hat:

Barbulus
Tench

Re: 2nd attempt landing net handle

Post by Barbulus »

Very nice too. You cannot beat a decent landing net. Two piece handle is very versatile. Great job !

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

They look wonderful, I would be well happy to use either of these handles attached to any of my OMR net heads.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Recycling at its best. Well done on a cracking job.

Wal.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Very nice,

To be honest, a slight kink or bend in a net handle , at least to me, looks fine, they are supposed to be vintage, and vintage cane does occasionally go a bit wayward,they still do the job, and even if a handle is a new build pretending to be vintage, a "bit wayward" adds to its appeal.
A two part handle is very useful, I tried to make one one time but it turned out , well, lets say, not good. Full marks for yours.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

That looks splendid , excellent job
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Post by Gsmn1 »

Thank you all. I am moving on to a bank stick, utilising the third section of the rod. Waste not want not.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very good Gsmn1 :Sun: I've asked friends and fellow club members for old banksticks and 3/8"bsf fittings but they've suddenly become tight lipped hoarders!

Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Post by Gsmn1 »

Well here it is. Still a coat of varnish to go. The third section now a long bankstick which I may carry just to support the new landing net handle! :Chuckle:
Ebay acquired thumb stick buffalo horn top. Old bank stick spear bottom section. Bit of whipping to match...

Roberts your mothers brother!

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”