J W Martin "Trent Otter" cane rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Coral Maestro
Chub

J W Martin "Trent Otter" cane rod

Post by Coral Maestro »

I recently received a cane rod as a gift from my girlfriend (bless her!) and I thought that it would be of interest to TFF members as it has historical interest as well as some unusual design features. The rod is whole cane butt and middle sections with a greenheart tip. The butt section is lightly flamed. It's currently 10ft 6in long but has lost about 6 inches from the top section so I would suggest it was around the 11ft mark originally.
The handle is wood wrapped in cork sheet and has an unusual brass tube reel fitting. The brass ferrules are spigotted but one has the brass sleeve missing and I suspect it's stuck in the female ferrule.

I think that the rod was manufactured as a pike rod or spinning rod for larger fish. JWM was a keen pike fisherman so he would have been eminantly qualified to design such a rod.
There is an interesting selection of guides on the rod, mainly porcelain lined. One is of particular interest as it has "Patent applied for" stamped on it. The side of the ring has a hinge which looks to have been designed to allow the porcelain liner to be installed then soldered shut.
The tip ring is one that I haven't seen before and is agate(?) lined but I think is more recent than the others. It's very heavily braced as if it was designed for larger fish such as salmon or pike.
The most interesting feature on the rod is the engraving on the butt cap - J. W. Martin & Son "Trent Otter". He was manufacturing tackle in Newark from the 1880's in partnership with Openshaw. He moved to Huntingdon for a while then set up another tackle business in Euston Square, London with his son around 1900. He died in 1915 suggesting that the rod may have been manufactured between 1900 and 1915.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: J W Martin "Trent Otter" cane rod

Post by Lea Dweller »

What a great present, so many interesting features, well done! J.W.Martin tackle is not common, I have seen a few rods, but only ever seen three centre pins! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

What a great looking rod - and what a present - marvellous. I have seen a couple of his rods but none have displayed the Trent Otter’ sign off to the butt cap - I am also with you on the date - I think you may have a pretty rare rod there. Hopefully someone can shed a bit more light onto this thread.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi "Dace", Your rod is very unusaul / nice /and interesting. First it must be assumed that none of the parts are marriage! Lets start with the butt cap. That is certainly 1910-15 . The rest of the rod could be a stock pike rod or bespoked for a customer.JWM and his son GSM were rodmakers to the trade. I have seen a JWM heavy game rod with roller tip ring altogether massive. Again it may be "cobbled together " and is in USA.The bottom joint ring may be a clue if the patent was established but a rod of 100yrs or more often displays "mods". However the owner was not in pursuit of gudgeon that's for sure! A VERY interesting item. Wish you success in its ownership . Tony.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

CM, Sir ... I hope you find these photos useful.

They are advertisements at the beginning of J. W. Martin's (aka 'The Trent Otter') book "My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways," published by W. Brendon and Son, Plymouth, for J. W. Martin in 1906. They list rods and tackle made in that year under "The Trent Otter" brand. Perhaps you will be able to identify your rod from the information given !

I'm fortunate enough to have found a copy signed by the author, as you can see.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I like mysteries like these. The rod has pedigree and even with some minor faults and question marks, it is and always will be a quality rod.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Again, Our Hon. Vice. Pres. has a very interesting book due to its inscription. Alas no date which for JWM is unusual. I stick to what I wrote to "Dace" today the pedigree of the rod does lend itself to a real JWM Pike rod but note the book advertisement is JWM and co. not son. My dates ARE correct.The rod, at least the cap emintes from 22 Euston Square 1910-15 I feel the rings are later editions however JWM Pike advertisement fails to describe the rings. My "Otter " pike rod is earlier and I fitted porcelain rings throughout.Any one who has ANY additional info of JWM and his son G.S.M. I would like to share (pm is an option) I would be most grateful.Extentsive reasearch is being undertaken at this time on the subject. Thanks Tony

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi again again , CORRECTION...... 22 ,Seymour Street, Euston Square.....Sorry chaps Tony

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

AshbyCut wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:43 pm CM, Sir ... I hope you find these photos useful.

They are advertisements at the beginning of J. W. Martin's (aka 'The Trent Otter') book "My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways," published by W. Brendon and Son, Plymouth, for J. W. Martin in 1906. They list rods and tackle made in that year under "The Trent Otter" brand. Perhaps you will be able to identify your rod from the information given !

I'm fortunate enough to have found a copy signed by the author, as you can see.?

What a useful book! It's amazing to see such an old book which has been signed. You are very lucky to have a copy.
I think the description for the "First Quality" Pike rod fits the rod in question best as the other 2 don't have cork handles and the "solid winch fittings" may be the way that JWM describes the brass tube winch fitting seen on my rod.
Any ideas as to what the original guides would have been? I would imagine they would be the ordinary porcelain lined rings rather than the "Patent applied for" type of which there is only one on the rod.
Was it normal for just the butt section of the rod to be flamed? The middle section is just plain whole cane.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:09 pm Hi Again, Our Hon. Vice. Pres. has a very interesting book due to its inscription. Alas no date which for JWM is unusual. I stick to what I wrote to "Dace" today the pedigree of the rod does lend itself to a real JWM Pike rod but note the book advertisement is JWM and co. not son. My dates ARE correct.The rod, at least the cap emintes from 22 Euston Square 1910-15 I feel the rings are later editions however JWM Pike advertisement fails to describe the rings. My "Otter " pike rod is earlier and I fitted porcelain rings throughout.Any one who has ANY additional info of JWM and his son G.S.M. I would like to share (pm is an option) I would be most grateful.Extentsive reasearch is being undertaken at this time on the subject. Thanks Tony
Did JWM have a tackle business during his time in Huntingdon where he maybe worked with his son?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”