Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 pm I once placed a good selection of spoons around the rim of a bucket (inside) for lure fishing from my punt. I made many casts with a big copper spoon without any luck so time came for a change of lure. But when I looked at the buckets rim out of about 10 spoons there was only two left. Then realised that the missing spoons were draping from my trousers. Never again have I used a bucket inside that way!
I've seen Mick Brown and other pike fisherman carry lures around the rim of a bucket. That's food for thought!
Last edited by Tonytoned on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I think I got the idea from watching Mick Brown fishing with Matt Hayes on TV. Anyways, after my experience I wouldn't recommend it. I now use hook guards and either put the lures in the bottom of a bucket or straight from the tackle box.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Santiago wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:31 pm I once placed a good selection of spoons around the rim of a bucket (inside) for lure fishing from my punt. I made many casts with a big copper spoon without any luck so time came for a change of lure. But when I looked at the buckets rim out of about 10 spoons there was only two left. Then realised that the missing spoons were draping from my trousers. Never again have I used a bucket inside that way!
:Hahaha:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Use cut lengths of rod tube - with the lures hanging in them - then put into a square bucket - saves all that 'stuck in leg' happenings!!

Or buy a proper bag with the tubes inside - were made by Wychwood - & takes 16 very long/large lures.

Flambeau make/made one as well.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Olly wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:54 pm Use cut lengths of rod tube - with the lures hanging in them - then put into a square bucket - saves all that 'stuck in leg' happenings!!

Or buy a proper bag with the tubes inside - were made by Wychwood - & takes 16 very long/large lures.

Flambeau make/made one as well.
Now there's an idea. :Thumb:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You could of course use hollow bamboo - to be Traditional! Like a float tube.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I cobbled one together by glueing a smaller bucket within a larger one and used a junior hacksaw to slot the top rim to keep the hooks apart

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Great idea!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Liphook wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:35 am I cobbled one together by glueing a smaller bucket within a larger one and used a junior hacksaw to slot the top rim to keep the hooks apart
That is a good idea! :Thumb:

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Kev D wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:04 pm
Mole-Patrol wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:39 pm Kev, You might still be able to get a hollow glass whip from the Poundshop that would make a telescopic light lure rod if fitted with a suitable handle.
I haven't seen any of those whips in Poundland for a while and none of the telescopic rods since Robson Green started selling them under his own name. I kid you not! But l did take the precaution of laying - in two or three of each "for the Grandchildren". 😁
On the other hand a solid glass version would be a bit more vintage, especially as l have an el cheapo, un branded but period , pressed ally(?) baitcasting reel with constantly engaged spool. The outfit would be crude but fun........ Another project!
Yesterday l spent all of an hour on the baitcaster project. The first few minutes were wasted experimenting with a bent bit of tube to replicate the ergonomics of a cranked handle ; rejected in favour of a more comfortable straight trigger grip. The latter is made from scrap copper tube the hollow trigger itself being infilled with a triangle of cork .
The handle is made from scrap sections from three different rod butts and the whole thing still needs a bit of a clean up so it doesn't look quite so much like the cut and shut job it is

The rod itself is a recycled 6' solid glass horse schooling whip.
I'm going to have to buy some rings but there's no hurry .
It would have been a fun addition to our holiday gear but our campsite confirmed only a few days ago that they wouldn't be operating this summer whatever the lock or not lockdown situation. It would have been my first holiday for about 15 years🙂
20200509_221845_resized.jpg
20200509_221902_resized.jpg
20200508_145833_resized_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”