Vintage British and American Lures. (MORE STUFF!)

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Vintage British and American Lures

Post by Nobby »

Unfortunately the best reel grease, Reel X Soft has just been 'downgraded' to a shadow of what it used to be. Nice and light, it used not to split and give off oil which might leak from the reel body, now it does.....

It is sad about the tackle fairs, who knows when it will be safe again, it all seems to be unravelling again...

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Vintage British and American Lures. (Revisited & Plug identified)

Post by Tonytoned »

Almost a year ago I started this thread and at the bottom of this post I asked if anyone could help identify a small wooden plug. Unfortunately no one could help, but an involuntary browse in one of my early Alex Martin 1956 catalogues I came across this page with the said plug, as shown below:

It's funny how things come around, a casual glance and there it was.

:doh:
Tonytoned wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm I have a few Lures, Spoons and such like that I've accumulated over the past two years and I also managed to identify a couple of them too.

(Top) - Bomber series 300 (so called because of its shape) Bomber Bait Co. Gainesville- Texas.

(Middle) - Whopper Stopper Bayou Boogie colour 6014 Whopper Stopper Bait Co. - ShermanTexas.

(Bottom) - Shakespeare Original LIL S.

William Shakespeare, Kalamazoo, Mich. William Shakespeare Jr. founded his tackle business in 1897

(Above) Paw Paw Bait Co. In 1970 the rights to the Paw Paw Lure Company were acquired by Shakespeare, which itself had been bought by Creek Chub which was bought out by Lazy Ike in 1978, which then ended up being owned by Pradco

All look like late baits

TWO FINNISH LURES

CountDown - Perch pattern

Rapala The brand was unofficially founded in 1936 when Finnish fisherman Lauri Rapala made one simple, yet genius observation: big fish eat little fish, particularly the wounded ones. As he fished the waters of Finland’s Lake Paijanne, he noticed how predator fish would dart into a school of minnows and attack the one that swam with a slightly off-centered wobble again and again.
This elegant insight led Lauri to pick up a carving knife to whittle, shave, and sand the original Rapala fishing lure. With makeshift household materials such as cork, tinfoil, and melted photographic negatives, he crafted and painstakingly tested a lure that perfectly mimicked the action of a wounded minnow and would ultimately become the forefather of the legendary Original Floating Rapala.

Invincible J. 8cm 6g

Nils Masters Designed in 1965 the Nils Master lure range has developed into a wide range of different models, sizes and effective colour choices. In 1978 trade name Bete joined the family.

ABU Lures and spoons

Voblex (two different sizes)

Lead and slotted Devon minnows.

Quill Minnows

Lead Devon minnow bodies (left) and normally Devon minnows.

I just love collecting them and I always keep my eye out on my travels.

I have this small surface bait that I'm trying to identify, it is about an inch and a half long and made of wood. Any ideas anyone?
Last edited by Tonytoned on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Vintage British and American Lures. (REVISITED)

Post by Duckett »

I wonder what on earth they meant by “English Plugs (American Style)”?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Duckett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 pm I wonder what on earth they meant by “English Plugs (American Style)”?

Phil
Don't know Duckett. I shall try and found out unless someone can come.up with an answer.

:Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Tonytoned wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 pm I wonder what on earth they meant by “English Plugs (American Style)”?

Phil
Don't know Duckett. I shall try and found out unless someone can come.up with an answer.

Made in England (actually Glasgow, assuming Alex Martin??) for the English market, but the designs typify those made in the USA.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Santiago wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:37 am
Tonytoned wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 pm

Phil
Don't know Duckett. I shall try and found out unless someone can come up with an answer.

Made in England (actually Glasgow, assuming Alex Martin??) for the English market, but the designs typify those made in the USA.
Thanks Santiago for the information. That's excellent.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Vintage British and American Lures. (REVISITED & Plug identified)

Post by Nobby »

Your surface bait was a very common one in Canada my Grandfather told me when he went fishing there for steelhead in about 1959. He bought me back a blue version but the hook set curved up around th ebody so it had been assembled wrongly, I presume.

Sorry, I don't know the name of it.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Played around making plugs for years but never seriously tried to fish them, never caught a pike on anything either.Must get out and give it a go. :fish: Have made a perfectly useable lure from an old decorriaters paint brush, cut down one with flat sides Would put up a photo but have not the skills to submit one!!!!! Tony

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Nobby wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:28 pm Your surface bait was a very common one in Canada my Grandfather told me when he went fishing there for steelhead in about 1959. He bought me back a blue version but the hook set curved up around th ebody so it had been assembled wrongly, I presume.

Sorry, I don't know the name of it.
Thanks Nobby that's interesting, not to worry. :Hat:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:47 pm Played around making plugs for years but never seriously tried to fish them, never caught a pike on anything either.Must get out and give it a go. :fish: Have made a perfectly useable lure from an old decorriaters paint brush, cut down one with flat sides Would put up a photo but have not the skills to submit one!!!!! Tony
Thank you Tonkin Wand. That's a shame would have loved to have seen them. If you could send my an attached image to my email address I could put it up for you. Not worry if not.
A very interesting story and full of ideas too.

:Thumb:

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”