Waterproofs

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Wandering Mark

Waterproofs

Post by Wandering Mark »

After finding out on Sunday that my waterproof coat (Highlander Rexmoor)isn't waterproof, I am looking for another coat for fishing. I have been looking at wax coats for some time but can't find one with long enought sleeves. So I was wondering what waterproofs others have tried and the pro's and con's? I have resorted to using my work coat but this has my employers logo plastered all across the back in reflective print.

I also have three pairs of waterproof trousers that aren't waterproof, and the coat took over a day to dry out!

Any info or help would be great.

Haydn Clarke

Re: Waterproofs

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Army Goretex usually gets the thumbs-up from its wearers. I bought a US desert goretex jacket a few years ago on Ebay. Brand new, un-issued, about twenty quid and fits me like a glove. The camo is slightly less in-ya-face on the US desert stuff and I rate it, even though I'm somewhat camo averse. I don't have the strides to go with it and I'll probably opt for some plain black goretex, Berghaus Deluge type thing.

If you're not keen on the camo thing, and I'm guessing as a trad-ist you probably aren't, then some of the German, Dutch, Austrian army goretex stuff comes in plain olive green. Much cheaper than the clobber sold in tackle shops which is often lesser quality and much more expensive.

One last note: one to definitly avoid is the Trakker clothing bundle that was, and still is, being sold quite widely. I found out the hard way when I had to board the rowing boat in the midst of a tropical-like downpour in France to free a tethered fish. Absolutely rubbish!

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

The military Goretex stuff is pretty good, and folds up quite small when not needed - unlike a Barbour which is a nuisance to carry around on the off-chance of a shower. You can get a British Army Goretex one for about thirty quid on flebay.

However, a Barbour is a lot more robust - and won't melt if you happen to touch it with the end of a cigarette!

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Another consideration is breathability. Wax jackets don't claim to be breathable, and aren't. Goretex does, but only is to a certain extent. For someone like me, who radiates heat (regardless of season) if he does anything other than sits perfectly still, Goretex just means feeling slightly less soggy than when wearing a non-breathable jacket.

But Goretex is, in my experience, the only material to stay genuinely waterproof, with only the need for an occasional clean to keep the "pores" open.

The other, reasonably waterproof gear which I use in the summer, is Dickies Fieldtex, which is cheap, comes in a nice drab green, and doesn't rustle like some materials:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DICKIES-FIELD ... 904wt_1163

They do trousers to match, which I often wear (regardless of weather conditions) when roving and sitting on a mat or the bank, rather than on a chair.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I use a Wychwood jacket and Trousers (I'm not sure if they are still made). They still look pretty traditional but I have to admit they far out perform my old wax Barbour jacket in every respect except perhaps aesthetics.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Barbour Northumberland for me - big enough to hide in during a real downpour and huge game pockets to lose sandwiches in. I had a camo jacket once but left it in the garden and never found it again.....
Last edited by The VFC on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

The VFC wrote: I had a camo jacket once but left it in the garden and nver found it again.....
:laugh: :laugh:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I have some Army issue Gortex Camo waterproofs......wonderful bit of kit.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I work in Norway for 4 days a week and get to see some serious stuff here, see what I like and then purchase on eBay from the uk for 1/10 of the price in Norway good makes to look out for Bergans and Norrona very similar to some of the Simms stuff from the states. Fully kitted out for less than £100 completely waterproof, breathable, light and very warm in the winter most of it has moved away from goretex to polartec stretch incredible material.
Bumble

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

US Military issue goretex is much better quality than the UK forces stuff. I have a couple of US arny ripstop ponchos they have been really useful of late as they keep me and most of my gear dry and with some cord and bungees can be used to make a decent shelter if I have not bothered with my brolly.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”