Aerial-Match 2..Special model

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Aerial-Match 2..Special model

Post by Aitch »

Oh my word... they are exquisite... I could only dream of owning something so beautiful... you truly are a master and an artist, Sir... :Hat: :shocked:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

As usual, the workmanship and appearance are wonderful to behold! :Hat:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Many thanks for kind words everyone..
The one without the lineguard, No.13, is in fact not mine but has been made to order and will be in the post to it's new owner next week..

Ashbycut.. Why not treat yourself to one of the new ones? :Wink:

Nobby.. Spot on! I always treat myself to a large one after completing a reel!

Thank you again all for your patience in waiting so long.

wm+ :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Stunning workmanship as always. I agree with Nobby the one without line guard looks much nicer and the rim lever will be an improvement on the original design.

Will the MK3 be available with a removable line guard.

Wal.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Leszek,

Beautiful reel as always.
Question, When watching some of the older anglers (I am talking about my youth) fishing with centre pins, some had a tendancy to want the line peeling off the top of the drum, when trotting down rivers. Thus a reel with the handle facing to the right when fishing would peel off line from the top. Other anglers wishing to get a better finger and thumb insertion for casting swore by the line coming off the bottom, especially is the first ring was a distance from the reel. The angle of contact making little difference. Obviouslly taking said reel and tarnsfering it to have the hanles the other side transfereed a top flow of line to a bottom flow.

Do you therefore class a left hand reel by the position of the brake. The majority of my reels have no brake except my worn out thumb. I am eager to learn what defines LH or RH Center pin reel. Where woulda Stanton with a center clucth fit within this - Neutral gender?

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am ... the rim lever will be an improvement on the original design.

Will the MK3 be available with a removable line guard.

Wal.
It is something which I did think about but have decided against it as it would be too far away from the original reel outline.
As I understand it, the original was only made for a short time and I know from size and detail discrepancies in existing ones that more than one backplate mould was used.
The lineguard reel was produced chiefly as Right-Hand Wind only as far as I know, but am told that some exist with Left-Hand wind. It would also seem that a few were made without any lineguard lugs. I have seen one that definitely appears to be so, but it would have been easy to fake by cutting away the lugs, so how many real ones exist, I just don't know and suspect, neither does anyone else-for certain...
Because most anglers today wind with their left hand, I decided to offer my own updated copies in all three versions; Original Right-, modern left and without any lineguard at all (but made in either hand wind).

The new Aerial-Match 3-when I can get to making it-will feature a rim-lever check in place of the original back button, to appeal to the modern angler. However, to re-design the lineguard and make it detachable will make it into a different reel silhouette as in 1939 and don't want to do this. I accept that changing the check is in itself a departure, but one which Allcocks featured on many of their other reels, so think that they might well have carried this forward to their Aerial-match, had it been continued post-war.
The lineguard has attracted both criticism and praise, but I rather like it as it is a little quirky and rather unique shape changer to what to me, is one of the nicest narrow drum designs ever made. It is also an extremely functional addition on windy days...Those who say that you cannot Wallis cast with this should seriously try it...They would be pleasantly surprised..

Right & Left Hand Wind questions.
We have been over this in detail before in other threads, but to my way of thinking, the answer is in the name. A RIGHT hand wind is when the reel is wound with that hand. The check (ratchet) is often made that way, so that it is stronger when paying out line than retrieving it.
Traditionally-and we are 'Traditional' anglers, the majority then preferred to wind in with the RIGHT hand-and I am one of them-because it felt better when the right hand 'controlled' the reel and thus, the action, as it were. The rod arm is an extension of the rod in some respects and a 'shock absorber' when playing a fish.
Because most also cast with the right arm-and again, I am one of them-this means changing hands and adopting a style of fishing to suit, but personally, I have never had any kind of a problem with that, no matter how 'awkward' it may look to today's anglers. It is just an automatic thing, the same as casting and getting the timing right.
However, I stray from the point.
If the line runs off the top of the reel, yet it is wound with the left hand, then a reel made for RIGHT hand wind would be correct. I prefer the line to run off the bottom for all kinds of fishing, except for beach casting with a centre pin, where I have it running off the top for safety reasons. A five inch reel running at high speed with a five ounce lead heading for the horizon takes very careful handling when stray loops develop...

Throughout time, anglers have adopted their own style of casting, winding and fishing to suit themselves and it is true today. Whatever style you use is right, if you are happy and content with it-and more to the point, enjoy!

wm+ :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

WOW! - My word they are incredible feats of skill & craftsmanship - it’s a privilege to see them.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Absolute gems Leszek - as you were kind enough to ask me to test your prototype I know how good the reel is and it was indeed a joy to use.

There are some very lucky people out there and I hope they use these reels for the purpose they were made for.

My very best regards - Keith

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

"Special" now there's an understatement, absolutely outstanding :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Absolutely stunning, sublime, superb.

Awe inspiring skills there Wm+ :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”