Grubby Snapham

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Tony
Minnow

Grubby Snapham

Post by Tony »

Good evening good people. I have acquired a Snapham as shown in the photos. It spins like dream, however I would like to give it a little tlc and smarten up its appearance, without giving it a polished look. I would much appreciate some advice on how this can be achieved if possible. Also it would be nice to put a date against this model.
Thx in advance....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Grubby Snapham

Post by Harry H »

It was made by Young's probably 1930s would have been black originally.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, they were leaded originally...probably poisoned a few anglers in its time....:-) Modarcom was the telegram name for Modern Arms if you weren't aware. The 4 and a 1/4 model was made up until 1939 apparently.

Tony
Minnow

Post by Tony »

Many thanks for replies. The reel measures 3 3/4 inches and it does not have spokes like some of the models I have seen on this site. Would this have any significance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I believe I can see the groove, just inside the arbour, where the points of the spokes would have been located, so I'd get a dental mirror and check the hub for spoke-holes.
I have no idea whether they were just centreing aids or structural members, though.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tony
Minnow

Post by Tony »

Yes there are holes for said spokes in the hub on closer inspection. However no sign of the opposing holes or repairs where they may have been.. very odd

Tony
Minnow

Post by Tony »

See pic...

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I fear they have been removed!

Tony
Minnow

Post by Tony »

I suspect you could be right, however there are definitely no corresponding holes or remnants of in the hub. Do you think this could be a rogue reel? Any clues what adverse effect this would have ?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Comimg from someone who would have to confess to knowing nothing about these reels, could it be a possibility that a replacement arbour was needed due to damage so was sourced from a dealer or manufactured by a skilled machinist with the remaining parts being transferred over to the 'new' arbour?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”