Cigar Box to Tackle Box

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Cigar Box to Tackle Box

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I bought a wooden cigar box from a local charity shop for €1,50 intending to do something with it. On a recent trip to Spain I used the box as part of a light weight cyclo-fishing trip.........

But I thought that I could do better (not the fish, the box!) so I set to work...............

All I need is a small hook & eye or latch to keep it closed and I've got everything I would need for a small river session.

Harry H
Tench

Re: Cigar Box to Tackle Box

Post by Harry H »

Nice job well done :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

That's really neat. I keep minimising my tackle load. I suppose one day l'll come unstuck ,but l find having to work with just what's in my pocket is quite a positive experience.
And you have mastered a mullet. That in itself merits a box of cigars! :wave:
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

No one masters mullet. They are mysterious like cats.................... and women. :Brickwall:

:Hahaha:

I have a shooting waistcoat with just the right amount of pockets to be able to carry enough tackle for a short session on small rivers. But if I tried wearing it whilst riding the bike I am sure that several if not all indispensable items would be strewn down the road and tracks. The cigar box fits neatly into a game bag or at a pinch the game pocket at the back of the waistcoat where the foam mat I use for sitting on usually resides.

This is what I usually take when using the 6 foot quiver tip rod that I think is fashioned out of part of a fibreglass fly rod.

The cigar box gives me float options :eyebrow:

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

What would the Korda lads make of this???

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nice useful box & a nice golden grey mullet?

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

SooperClooper wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:55 pm What would the Korda lads make of this???
They'd make one out of stainless steel, call it the Perro's Cajones and sell it for £80.
Nice job, Mole Patrol. I'm now wondering where I might find one to keep my wooden line winder in. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

JAA
Grayling

Post by JAA »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:58 pm I bought a wooden cigar box from a local charity shop for €1,50 intending to do something with it. On a recent trip to Spain I used the box as part of a light weight cyclo-fishing trip.........

All I need is a small hook & eye or latch to keep it closed and I've got everything I would need for a small river session.
Very nice that. It's not very traditional but some wide silicone bands will do a fine job of keeing it closed.
Mole-Patrol wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:54 am No one masters mullet. They are mysterious like cats.................... and women. :Brickwall:
Women are far easier to catch....
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Lovely job, I really like that! Got everything you need there. Nice little rod with original rubber clinch reel fixings! Nice fish too.
Reading this post reminded me that I have a little box to convert for the new season, its about 8 x 6 inches.
I really do want to travel light this season. Just one rod and reel, two rods and reels know and then ( if I'm fly fishing just one rod and one reel with a spare spool of sinking line)
The mainstay will be my Marco Arun and B James and son Richard Walker MK1V Carp rod.
Reels... Allcock's Arial Match and wide drum Speedia.
I might have to be a little more flexible at times but this is my plan.'
I do have a small 6ft rod and small centerpin that I want to give a go on a little local river as well.
What also made me think about keeping it simple was my new book.. Anglers Angles..
The chapter Anglers Happiness.... it reminded me of when I was a boy when I (we) had one rod and a reel and my little fishing bag and a rod rest my dad made, a tin of worms and half pint of maggots.. my dad called them gentles..
I never had a landing net then my mate had one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”